startup error "DLL file not found"

cronley

At startup I get following message.
Error starting program
"A required .DLL file, C:\Windows\System\CRTDLL.DLL, was not found"
Any help please

That's a pretty essential DLL (Dynamically Linked Library) since it contains the C language runtime used by most programs! Any idea how it got deleted? Or maybe your PATH environment variable was changed and no longer includes C:\Windows\System? Check using the Windows Explorer file manager (not Internet Explorer) to see if that file exists. Did you install anything new on your PC? You should be able to and copy it in but it would be worth figuring out how it disappeared.

You need to copy the CRTDLL.DLL file into the C:\Windows\System folder. You should not try to run it. Are you sure that you didn't delete any other system components? If you are running Windows XP you could always try rolling back to a previous System Restore point - see this topic for some info on this.

I have copied it & it is now listed in C:\Windows\System folder, but with a .zip extension. When I restarted computer, the same error message appeared. I am running Windows 98. How do I change it to .DLL extension.

What you downloaded was a compressed/zipped version of the file. You need to decompress/unzip/expand this to get the original file. Use 7Zip or WinZip to retrieve the original CRTDLL.DLL file from the zipped package.

I got CRTDLL.DLL file emailed as attachemrnt from another computer & saved it to C \Windows\System & the startup error message is now gone. Some problems - the @ key comes up as " & the " key comes up as @ - also AltGr+4 does not produce the euro symbol. These problems arose after I mistakenly deleted the CRTDLL file some days ago & are still there. Any solution.

Your keyboard settings most likely wrong - possibly set to English/US rather than English/Ireland layout. Go into Start -> Control Panel -> Regional and Language Options -> Languages property page -> Details... and make sure that the English/Ireland input language and other Irish settings are configured. See for more on this in XP.

Why did you delete CRTDLL.DLL in the first place!? If you are using XP then the best way to recover from such incidents would be to use the System Restore feature mentioned above.

Why did you delete CRTDLL.DLL in the first place!?

Made mistake. My PC is 7 years old. Total C capacity 2GB. I was trying to free up disc space & deleted some stuff. I have 4GB on drive D which I dont seem to be able to use.
I changed regional settings to English/US, & restarted, but @ still appears as " etc. Not using XP. Using Windows 98

You need to change your regional settings from English/US to English/Ireland or English/UK.

You should generally avoid manually deleting anything in system folders such as C:\Windows, C:\Windows\System, C:\Windows\System32, C:\Program Files etc.

Why can you not use the additional 4GB D: drive (or partition?)? What happens when you try to use it? Did it work at any stage? If it did then what caused it to stop working?

Back