starting on a 125 cc motorbike/scooter

Hasslehoff

Hi All
I have a full driving "B" licence for the last 10 years , I am now looking to buy a motorbike and I understand that I can drive a 50cc bike on my B licence, I am looking for a 125 cc and in understand that I have to apply for a learner permit for this but do I now have to have a qualified motorcyclist with me under the new rules ?????

Qualified driver requirement is for car learners and not motorcycle learners.

You do need a learner permit and on it you are supposed to wear a yellow tabard with L signs on it when riding, you're also not allowed to carry a pillion.

Just to mention that your B licence entitles you to drive automatic mopeds up to 50cc, not all 50cc bikes. (found the info on biker.ie forum on motorcycles). Any other type of bike requires an A or A1 licence.

you will need to sit the Theory test if you haven't previously. Also make sure you apply for an A license (not A1).

Get some lessons.
Get good gear (full set - not just helmet,jacket - good boots/gloves are very important).

what type of bike you thinking about ?

lots of value out there right now (also what type of mileage are you going to be doing daily ?) it might be worth while getting a larger restricted bike.

Back