starting in investments

S

Sabs

hi there,
i have couple of thousands that i had put away last year and that don't earn me anything at the moment... with the market the way it is i am thinking to open an acc with sharewatch and get me some shares... i had seen tough that people aren't that happy with sharewatch and as a beginner (literally) i feel a little bit off put by the prospect...
also, i think it might be a good idea to get a FX acc as the rates EUR against USD are in our favour at the mo...how does that work? would sharewatch make the FX when i call them and then do a trade or am i to make the FX and then transfer the money over for them to do the trade?
Can anybody please advise?

Hi,

When I was starting off I did a bit of research on sharewatch. I didn't like what I uncovered so I didn't go with them.. Instead, I went with an online a/c with Davys. I am very happy with it..Commissions and charges are pretty too imho..

You need not worry about the FX side of things unless you are trading currency (which is best left to the pros!) Your stockbroker will manage the conversion using the latest exchange rate.

I've had an interest in the stock market for the past year and a half.. I had a number of shares inc. BOI,CRH,AIB and BP.. They have all since been sold at a considerable loss.. I'm holding onto my cash until the markets are less volatile..!

In the next 12 months all the weak banks/companies will be gone bust/bought out..there will also be some good value about..

hi,

thank you for that..

i had looked myself at a few websites... Rabo seems to be alright and they only charge 0.25% commission but they only allow trades for the funds they have on offer and not individual shares...

Davy seems to be the best so far...

... as for the shares that you have sold at a loss, i would have kept them... markets tend to readdress if you invest with a long term perspective witch i intend to do
and for that there's no better time to buy provided that you have the money.... sure, it's a gamble like any other
rgrds

Back