Starting Extension and now complications

C

Carmen2009

I am starting an Extension this week of which we got Architects plans.

As we didn't need planning permission, we felt get an Architect to do plans and a good builder and hey presto all will be okay.

However, we are knocking down a wall between our kitchen and dining and building out about 10 feet. The Architect insisted we keep a pillar which is currently part of the outside wall, I wasn't keen on the idea at the beginning but he convinced us that it would be very expensive to get rid of it as would mean we'd need both a structural engineer, and him involved until the very end plus alot of steel.

Now the builder who we know is very reliable and good at what he does, says he will only know if the pillar can withstand the weight of the house when he strips back the plaster board and knocks down the other walls, explaining that if it is made of cavity blocks he wouldn't be satisfied it could hold the house as all other walls connected to it will be removed making it weak.

He explained he doesn't want this coming back to haunt him in later years and won't take any chances. If he strips it back and he's not happy, he has explained 2 choices, he fills it with concrete to strenghten it or he knocks it down and rebuilds it so it can carry the steel beam above and the rest of house.

However, I asked if he has to knock it down is it really worth building it again when we didn't want in 1st place, however, we'd have to have another steel beam going across the other way intersecting where the pillar would have been and have to get a structural enginneer out to examine it.

We explained our Architect didn't outline these options but builder said you can do what you want it's your house but I would recommend you keep above board in case you want to sell house in later years.

So my question is, is it too late at this stage to involve a structural engineer? Can you involve a structural engineer after Architects plans are drawn up? What assurances do the structural engineers give? Is this as good as an architect? Would it slow down a build by much if we did get a structural engineer involved at this stage? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Get an engineer to detail a set of drawings, it should only take a couple of days to do the survey and the calculations.

A structural engineer will have the professional indemnity that covers the design and the builders back if anything goes wrong in the future. The engineer will also have a certificate of compliance which could be required if you ever sell the house.

In this instance a structural engineer is a far better judge of the situation than any architect.

It is better to slow down the build by 28 days ( the time concrete takes to achieve solidity) than to have it fall down. Your builder should be well able to reprogram the project schedule to allow working around the temporary supports which the concrete load bearing pads achieve hardness.

Hi
Get a structural engineer to advise - we where left with a pillar in a similar situation and i know now that it did not need to be there.

Architects are not structural engineers and they have to consult them in these issues just the same as we do.
Getting one to visit and make suggestion with a sketch for builder to follow should cost less that €2K and you have the piece of mind when you sell the house that you have the paperwork to show you did the steelwork in accordance with engineers suggestion.
the Steel itself is cheap.
There is always pressure from all trades inc architects to do the easiest thing as they dont always want the hassle, but dont comprise !
good luck

Back