starting a home beauty business

annamarie87

Hi,i am a qualified beauty and body therapist and at present am currently unemployed. I am thinking of setting up a a small treatment room at my home. I have various equipment etc but would need a certain type funding for various things such as getting a skincare range which i know would be successful. The room i would be using would also be at my parents home as i am currently renting and not allow carry out business on this premises(my landlord is aware i am a beautician). I would be grateful for any information provided, who would be the best people to speak with etc..

Some of the issues raised in this thread may apply if you want to start a business in your parents' home.

What objections did your landlord raise?

Hi Annamarie87,

Would your credit Union give you a loan? If you cannot get a personal loan I don't think you'll get any funding elsewhere as it is a business operating out of room in your house. You'd be better off renting a space and approaching them under new small business venture. But even at that enterprise boards will not give you any money or funding as it is not an innovative idea.

I think your best bet is to start with what you have got, and out away some of your earnings towards your skincare line. I know these lines can be very expensive to buy into so I think concentrate on your waxing/manis/pedis and out as much away as you can and then take that money and invest it in your skincare line.

There is a very helpful salon website I frequent I'll pm you website and you can ask other beauty experts their advice.

I would also advise visiting the BITE expo in the RDS on October 3rd 4th where you might be able to buy stock cheaper.

Good Luck.