staroffice and ms word

techman

I am using Staroffice 8 and want to open these files in Word 2000.

I had a look on a few sites. Seems the only way to do this is to save it as a .doc file in OpenOffice. Word cannot open the file format .odt

Anyone else know of a better way or some work around to be able to open an OpenOffice file in Word?

There is an OpenSource project (financed by Microsoft, according to Wikipedia) to create an Add-In for Word to read and save OpenDocument files. Download from here.

...Sun Microsystems was the key contribitutor to the the OpenOffice project.
I think you will find that the product is an open source alternative to the Microsoft Office Suite.

All Openoffice documents can be saved simply in Microsoft format.
In addition OpenOffice is free and intuitive to anyone who has used MS-Word or Excel.
..would thoroughly recommend it.

It is a mystery to me as to why our schools continue pay for Microsoft products whilst they could use OpenOffice for free!

....It is a mystery to me as to why our schools continue pay for Microsoft products whilst they could use OpenOffice for free!

Most companies use MS Office maybe? So its a skill worth having. Things like ECDL and MOUS etc.

I found a few plugins but none of them worked for me. But perhaps if you search for "MS Word odt plugins" you might find one that works.

I could find plenty of plugins for Word 2003.

Couldn't find any for Word 2000.