Stardust- new RTE Dramatisation

Carpenter

We watched the first instalment of this dramatisation last night and I have to see I found it very disturbing and thought provoking. I was only a child when the disaster happened but I remember the TV pictures of the time and the doom and gloom of the decade. The programme was excellent in every respect- top class casting, tight editing, high production values etc. I know the drama has upset a lot of families who lost loved ones but it should help them in their quest to meet with Bertie Ahern to discuss the handling of the matter by the original tribunal. I think RTE handled a sensitive topic well and I look forward to seeing the second instalment tonight.

As someone who never knew the tragedy until recently (was born over a half decade later), I found the show excellent - it told the horrible story in a very genuine and factual way - no real attempt was made at 'blaming' - they did'nt show individuals smoking and the locks where shown not to be actually locked, but just wrapped around to appear to be locked. Good job on a tough topic.

I will probably miss tonights part... because Lost is on RTE2...

Agree, I thought it was a brilliant production and I can't say I look forward to the second part (because I found it very very distressing to watch) but I will watch it. I can understand why relatives of friends of people affected could not watch it but it is something we should not forget.

I hope it reminds people to check out their local pubs/clubs etc for the issues that contributed to so may deaths at the Stardust.

Fair dues to RTE - it was a fine programme. However, I can understand how some of the survivors/relatives were opposed to it - it must have been heartbreaking for them to watch the re-creation on TV. And I can't help but think that if the victims had been from middleclass backgrounds, the state response would have been hugely different......

I'm not one to knock RTE, but I thought it was fairly cliched & it just didn't engage me. I'm old enough to remember the impact of the Stardust disaster on friends who knew many of the people who were killed. But this drama just did nothing for me. Maybe I'm just tired of seeing the same old faces in every RTE drama?

Diddles - We're not going to get into debates on moderation issues. We've enough to do. If you have serious concern that you feel warrants moderators taking time out of their day to address, take it up by PM.

Back