Standing Order Query

bogota400

I got fed up of having to ask tenants for rent so asked them to pay by standing order. For first 5 weeks, both of them paid - with funds arriving in my nib account every Wednesday.
This week, only one of the two payments came in on Wednesday. The other arrived Thursday. My understanding was that Standing Orders were setup in a way that the transfer date was guaranteed ie. will definitely get transferred on the x day of month or x day of week.

Can I assume that one of my tenants has just been transferring manually by online banking.
The only other thing that I can think of is that NIB's online banking and their transaction alert emails are not up to speed. How likely is this?

Some of my online banking accounts allow me to unilaterally set up and vary standing orders. Maybe you should have asked them to pay by direct debit instead?

They could also be doing manual transfers as I don't think you can tell the difference between these and SOs at the receiving end.

I pay rent by standing order and my bank told me to give it 4 days so I give it 5.

My landlord did ask for a direct debit but I refused (I like to control my own money).

Maybe you should have asked them to pay by direct debit instead?

With DD the OP has to initiate the transactions and I don’t see the banks being too interested in setting someone up as an originator for a couple of monthly DDs. Then you still have the problems with them bouncing

I would regard this as a 'blip' and that 'normal' service would be resumed next week. The fault could have been with the payer's bank, or with your own. Also you refer to some email notification facility. Are you saying one TX arrived a day late or one of the emails arrived a day late ?

In my experience, incoming payments by standing order include SO at or near the end of the payment narrative, but this may not be true for all banks.

Also you refer to some email notification facility. Are you saying one TX arrived a day late or one of the emails arrived a day late ?
The email notification showed one inward payment instead of two - as did the online statement.

In my experience, incoming payments by standing order include SO at or near the end of the payment narrative, but this may not be true for all banks.
Don't think this is the case with NIB but will double check when I get home as I can't logon from where I'm at right now.

Yes - I know how DDs work. I'm just pointing out that this would have given the original poster more control over the timing of rental payments.