Standard Specs - Extractor fan

Aimee

I am of the opinion that extractor fan provisions are placed in the kitchen of any new build as standard!

Now I have a mighty long story which I won't bore you guys with but can I get your opinions on it ..........

would you consider extractor fan provisions as standard???

Hi Aimee,

Does the new house not have a fan itself fitted or have a vent where a fan be installed? Take it that its not a terraced house?

No fan or vent for same fitted at all!! They forgot!! The problem now is cooker is on an internal wall, so it means digging upstairs to do the job - as if thats not bad enough the builder has the cheek to suggest that we have to pay him for this "extra" work! I am very careful in all I do with these kind to things and have every single thing documented - I have a copy of what was given to his foreman at foundation stage which sets out where the extractor was to go, course the foreman is now saying he never got it, despite the fact that a number of things on this list are done and couldnt possibly be unless he saw this actual list! Amazing!!

Anywho, think I am happy! Have spoken to my engineer and they are caught under the building regs, looking forward to meeting him now!

Why is it that we go to buy property in this country, hand out a fortune for same and are treated like moaners and nuisances when we complain if certain things are not done right, builders have it too good and get away with shody work today, its about time people woke up to them and demanded things to be done properly, after all we are the ones who will have to live with their crap work for the 30 + years!!!!

Rant over!

Aimee,

Two options.

You can use a recirculating filter hood on your cooker which has a special filter which cleans the air and recirculates it into the kitchen.

Alternatively if you are building in high presses you can run extract flexible ducting above the press at the back where it wont be seen and exit at the outside wall.

Any handyman will drill a hole and fit an outside louvre. (standard size)

Our kitchen man told us we would be mad to install the kitchen we want (its quite expensive - to be the last kitchen I ever install I hope!!) with one of those recirculating filter hoods as they only take away smells and not steam, therefore putting our kitchen wood at risk - he said thats a big no no.

The other option I have thought of but we have to run over two internals doors also to get to an outside wall and I dont see what I should have to compromise my kitchen design for their mistake.

Thank you in any event HighFlier for your advice, I am sticking to my guns and boy am I fired up! This house was by no manner or means cheap, and he got an extra €50,000-00 plus from us for extras - granted he has done the work but certain parts of this work are very poor indeed, I think its disgraceful that he can then turn around to us and say "this happens in every building site in the country"!! NOTE TO BUILDERS: This is not a building site - its somebody's home !!!!

Jee, why couldnt he be in front of me now ---- have to keep this mood up!