Standard PRSA

Maltaff

Hi Can you use a standard PRSA (Not an AVC PRSA) to invest 2022 unused pension allocation limit from income earned when you were a member of an occupational pension scheme, which you left in 2022 and has since been wound up? Getting conflicting advice. some F.A's's say yes others say no on the basis that you can't have been a member of an occup. pension scheme in the same year you are looking to use up your remaining pension contribution capacity. I had contributed just a small amount of AVC's to the Occup. Pension scheme before I left employment there. Given the confusion, I have reached out to Revenue but awaiting a response for quite a while now. T.I.A

You've left the employment and it was pensionable. So I'm afraid you cannot contribute more towards a pension in relation to that employment income. If you're in a pension scheme and want to contribute more, the only way of doing it is via an AVC or an AVC PRSA. But you can only contribute an AVC or an AVC PRSA while you're in the employment.

Have you other earned income in 2022 that you could make a pension contribution against?

Unfortunately not Liam. I had thought (and actually been advised ) that I could use a standard PRSA method as I was no longer in the scheme/scheme was closed. Thanks for the info.