Standard procedures for opening a bank account

leig

I was wondering are there standard practices for opening a bank account? I ask because I was thinking of opening an account with ulsterbank and along with the standard IDs, they said I'd need to provide a bank statement or printout from my account with another bank so that they could see that it was a healthy account and to keep it on record. They also stated that if it was a standard current account I wanted that I need to bring my passport too as well as my licence. I have no debt problems or history of problems so all this jumping through hoops just to keep some of my money with them seems a bit mad as well as an invasion of privacy. Also do all bank not accept mobile phone bill as proof of address as they said they would only accept land line/utility bill. So do these seem like normal practices on their part? Thanks

I opened a new current a/c recently (not with Ulsterbank), and had to provide statements from existing bank, payslips, driving licence, utility bill, VISA bills and verification of PPSN.

I opened a new BA last week and brought with me my passport and proof of address no more then 6 months old. I also took a payslip with my PPSN on it, but they didn;'t ask to see it.

Thank for the replies, It seems to vary not only from bank to bank but even from branch to branch.

There is no requirement to give them a PPSN.

Even in the US you can refuse to give them your SSN. There is nothing they can do about it.

There is no requirement to give them a PPSN.

Even in the US you can refuse to give them your SSN. There is nothing they can do about it.

Citizens Information says the following:

If you open an account that pays interest on your money, you also need to supply your PPS (personal public service number). If you do not have a PPS number a bank may accept a copy of your birth certificate.

[broken link removed]

Last edited:
Back