stand for real Christmas tree

O

O'Brien 31

Anyone know where I can get a good value stand for a real tree?

The tree can be kept healthy enough to root when planted out in the garden after Christmas (and it won't shed needles all over the carpet!) if you wedge the trunk down among medium-sized rocks or stones in a fairly large metal or plastic tub/bucket and ensure an inch or so of water in the bottom is kept topped up over the holiday. This weight is needed at the base otherwise the tree and decorations will be top-heavy. Those metal tripod things are in my experience not sufficient in themselves to hold up any but the smallest (3') tree.

Sorry to take this off topic - does that mean that even if you buy a standard tree with no roots that you can plant it out after Christmas and it will root itself? Or are you talking about trees you buy still with roots attached?

Janet,

This post hits on the subject tho not in great detail. Perhaps there's a suitable tupperware container .... :D

No 'roots attached'. Keep the tree in a healthy condition and keep the cut trunk moist. At the end of the holiday prune off the heaviest bottom layer of branches and shove the tree into soil in a damp loamy shady part of the garden and it will root...........if you want a conifer in your garden.

sueellen said:
Janet,

This post hits on the subject tho not in great detail. Perhaps there's a suitable tupperware container .... :D

As a matter of fact...I probably do have one that'd work...:D

Back