Stamullen to Dundalk Directions?

sabrina

Moving to Stamullen Co. Meath soon. Can anyone tell me whats the best road to take to go north towards dundalk. am i right in saying there is no slip road off to m50? Do you need to go south and then off another slip road? I got lost and ended up going via drogheda to dundalk! Not a good idea around 5pm!!!

Stamullen doesn't actually appear on the route planner
Is there no exit from the M1?

It advises going through Gormanstown.
They spell it Stamullin - is this different to Stamullen ?

They are both the same.
I would go either via the motorway or the "old road" - the R132

Join M1 heading North
Take exit 16 which according to aa ..
Leave the M1 at junction 16, then at roundabout take the 3rd exit onto the N52 (signposted N52 Dundalk (South), Ardee
At traffic signals turn left onto Dublin Road - R132 (signposted Dundalk)
Continue forward onto Dublin Road - R132. Entering Dundalk

By the way. We some estates have had no mains water for the last week in Stamullen!!!
Don't want to alarm you but it's been dreadful.

> it will post the quickest and most efficent route

That's not always the case. On a recent trip up North the route planner plotted a route based on national and regional roads, instead of using the motorway. Added almost an hour to the trip. Can't beat local knowledge!

Leave stamullen heading east on stamullen road,

Go over flyover over motorway and continue to T junction. Gormanston college on right and Football pitches on left.

Turn left continue until you meet the balbriggan to drogheda road junction at The Huntsman.

Turn left (now heading North towards Drogheda) and continue straight until you reach the small roundabout junction at the big bridge over the dublin to drogheda road (N1).

Right at the start of the bridge there is a lane marked for Dublin, or South (trust me) get in this lane (you do not cross the bridge) and follow it down and around to the left and join the main traffic travelling south towards dublin.

You are now heading towards the M1. You will come to a large roundabout, go straight through it and over flyover. you come to the other roundabout on the far side of the bridge, go all the way around this taking the 3rd exit, your now on the M1 travelling towards dundalk.

Continue on M1, through toll bridge (€1.60 i think?) for approx 40 - 50 minutes depending on traffic and how fast you drive. you will pass numerous turnoffs but then you will reach the dundalk sliproad.

Take this slip road, at top take 3rd exit from roundabout, continue straight up this road until you reach a large crossroads, big industrial estate on your right, huge wind generator in Dundalk IT grounds ahead. take left hand lane coming up to this crossroad and turn left at lights.

You continue straight and 5 minutes later (depending on traffic) your in dundalk.

hope this helps... struggling to remember the bits after you go up sliproad from the motorway at dundalk, is it just one large roundabout or is it a small one, a flyover and a second one..... but if youve gotten this far just follow the signposts to dundalk, its soooooo handy and traffic is usually light even in rush hour.

I have drawn a mini map as a jpeg but dont know how to attach it to a post.

Thanks for all the help. i must have a drive around next week when we are up. Hope to move in next 6-8 weeks!!!

sabrina said:
Thanks for all the help. i must have a drive around next week when we are up. Hope to move in next 6-8 weeks!!!

Great stuff, welcome to the neighbourhood!

Maxjam's instructions are bang-on, but just to add that direct access to/from the M1 is in the pipeline. I believe that, as part of their planning permission, the developers of the new hotel at the top of M1 slip-road have to construct a distributor road into Stamullen. I think you can see the foundation for the road running alongside the Grange, just before the flyover as you leave Stamullen (i.e running back onto the Stamullen/Gormanston Road, parallel to the M1). The development plan also has another road running from the roundabout at the top of the slip road into the Cockhill Road (i.e. outside Forge Hill, alongside the National School) but I haven't seen any sign of it being constructed just yet.

Stamullen Development Plan map available here...

[broken link removed]

TarfHead said:
It advises going through Gormanstown.
They spell it Stamullin - is this different to Stamullen ?

Myhome.ie also spell it Stamullin, but all the road signs in the area and anything I've seen from Meath Co. Council spell it as Stamullen.

Thanks Conor Mc...... any other info on stamullen? I know about the water situation, areas that flood etc etc... what are the neighbours/community like? Do you know what the primary school is like? I am originally from Dundalk but have lived in Bary and Arklow for past few years and germany before that so its a while since i've lived in the north-east area! Any do's and don'ts that you would suggest?

Hi Everyone
I am moving to Stamullen Co. Meath soon. Can anyone tell me what’s it is like I will be moving in to village park. i have just read a couple of comments on the Glashean/ kilbreck forum and there seems to an issue with a burnt out car and teenagers drinking etc. I know it is posted from Jan 07 but i am still interested in knowing what Stamullen is like. I am from Dublin’s Inner City and have seem a life time of troubles in all manors. One of the reasons why i am moving is to escape all this Sh1t. I also may have valuable experience in dealing with Anti social behaviour and methods of controlling it. Don’t get me wrong I am not talking vigilante methods but simple deterents that are affective and easy to implement. Looking forward to your reply.

Leave stamullen heading east on stamullen road,

Go over flyover over motorway and continue to T junction. Gormanston college on right and Football pitches on left.

Turn left continue until you meet the balbriggan to drogheda road junction at The Huntsman.

Turn left (now heading North towards Drogheda) and continue straight until you reach the small roundabout junction at the big bridge over the dublin to drogheda road (N1).

Right at the start of the bridge there is a lane marked for Dublin, or South (trust me) get in this lane (you do not cross the bridge) and follow it down and around to the left and join the main traffic travelling south towards dublin.

You are now heading towards the M1. You will come to a large roundabout, go straight through it and over flyover. you come to the other roundabout on the far side of the bridge, go all the way around this taking the 3rd exit, your now on the M1 travelling towards dundalk.

Continue on M1, through toll bridge (€1.60 i think?) for approx 40 - 50 minutes depending on traffic and how fast you drive. you will pass numerous turnoffs but then you will reach the dundalk sliproad.

Take this slip road, at top take 3rd exit from roundabout, continue straight up this road until you reach a large crossroads, big industrial estate on your right, huge wind generator in Dundalk IT grounds ahead. take left hand lane coming up to this crossroad and turn left at lights.

You continue straight and 5 minutes later (depending on traffic) your in dundalk.

hope this helps... struggling to remember the bits after you go up sliproad from the motorway at dundalk, is it just one large roundabout or is it a small one, a flyover and a second one..... but if youve gotten this far just follow the signposts to dundalk, its soooooo handy and traffic is usually light even in rush hour.

I have drawn a mini map as a jpeg but dont know how to attach it to a post.

That's the exact route I have taken in the past - seems to be the best alright.

Back