Stamp Duty Query Have House In Uk So Do I Have To Pay It Here In Ireland

S

SNOWBALL

Hi

I Have A House In The Uk But I Am Buying An Investment Property In Athy For €179,000.can You Advise Do I Still Have To Pay Stamp Duty Here In Ireland As This Is My First House Here?

When you POST IN ALL UPPER CASE then Vbulletin Converts It To Text Like This Which Is Difficult To Read.

You have to pay stamp duty as you are an investor. €179K ex VAT @ 3% if I'm not mistaken. Even if you were buying a home you would not be considered a first time buyer by virtue of your ownership of the UK property (unless it was inherited) so would be liable for non FTB rates of SD.

Hi

I Have A House In The Uk But I Am Buying An Investment Property In Athy For €179,000.can You Advise Do I Still Have To Pay Stamp Duty Here In Ireland As This Is My First House Here?

You always have to pay stamp duty on an investment property regardless of FTB status.

Also you are only a FTB if you have not bought property in Ireland or any other country. It's not just Irish property that is counted.

It's fraud/tax evasion. No reputable agency/individual would recommend it as a prudent course of action. Some people get away with such illegal activities. Lots get caught whether sooner or later. Revenue have significant powers to carry out audits/investigations when they see fit.

I wish they'd get the finger out with regards to this. Nothing encourages people more to engage in tax evasion than seeing other people get away with in. Conversely nothing desuades them more than seeing everyone getting caught.

Though I guess, much like the shoe shine boy analogy with shares, when everyone else is giving you advice on how to evade tax it's probably a good time to be playing it staight.

just like to add : if the property in UK is owned through inheritance, you can be still be a valid and legal FTB in ireland- but if property in UK or anywhere else is owned through your sources of income, you had effectivley lost the FTB status, also any house bought under an FTB status should not be rented( except under rent-a room scheme) for next 5 years or else there will be a proportinate claw-back of stampduty relief.

it will not be soon revenue start their clampdown or declare an amnsety scheme( given large number of foreign nationals buying here as FTB) to get some dosh ...

Back