Stamp duty on sites - first time buyer

iPoker

Can anyone point me in the direction of where in the revenue website, or other information, I can clearly see whether stamp duty applies to sites for first time buyers?

In my trawl, I found somewhere saying that stamp duty was applicable on sites at 9% above €150k, regardless of first time buyer status. Then I found somewhere else saying the exemption applies if site purchased in connection with building a house.

Any direction to definitive answer would be appreciated.

Read Form SD10A.

Essentially, a site on its own is non residential property and stamp duty is payable by anyone buying regardless of whether they are a first time buyer or an investor.

There is a relief on a transfer of a site from parent to child to build a house.
There is also a relief for new houses for ftbs and owner occupiers where there is a site purchase and related building contract - this would be the norm in an average new building estate.

A stand alone site attracts stamp duty otherwise.

mf

sorry for butting in on post, is there stamp duty payable if a parent is gifting a side garden site to a daughter to seek planning permission and build a house.

there is an exemption where a parent transfers a site to their child, where that site is no more than an acre in size and not worth more than €254k.

If stamp duty applies to a site purchase, the maximum rate is 6% (but if the purchaser & vendor are blood relatives, the applicable rate is halved).

This is the wording of the cerificate from Revenue SD10A:

It is hereby certified that —
a. the instrument gives effect to the transfer/conveyance/lease of a site as defined in section 83A (transfer of site to child) of the Stamp Duties Consolidation Act 1999,
b. the person becoming entitled to the entire beneficial interest in the site is a child of the person (or of each of the persons) immediately heretofore entitled to the entire beneficial interest in the site,
c. at the date of this instrument, the value of the site does not exceed €500,000 and that the transaction hereby effected does not form part of a larger transaction or of a series of transactions whereby property with a value in excess of €500,000 is conveyed/transferred/leased to that child,
d. the purpose of the conveyance/transfer/lease is to enable that child to construct a dwellinghouse thereon which will be occupied by that child as his/her only or main residence, and
e. the transaction hereby effected is the first and only conveyance/transfer/lease of a site for the benefit of that child which contains this certificate.”

mf

Back