Stamp Duty & FTB Grant

• Thread starter Unregistered
  • Start date
U

Unregistered

Hi all

I have read the FAQ under this section but think some think may have changed recently. I am hoping to buy a 2nd hand house €190K and was initially told as a FTB I would not be subject to stamp duty and would be entitled to the FTB grant?

Today however an employee in my local bank said I would not be entitled to the FTB grant anymore?

Any clarification would be greatly appreciated.

The first time buyers grant is history.

As regards stamp duty and a second hand house, the last budget allowed for no applicable stamp duty on second hand houses up to a certain value...someone on here will clarify or you could search for the answer. I'm guessing at 190k, you would be below the threshold and won't have to pay..?

There is no FTB Grant anymore (and it was in re. new houses only anyway) but you will be exempt from stamp duty

mf

There is no FTB Grant anymore and you are only exempt from stamp duy on a new house. On a second hand house there are varying stamp duty rates depending on the price of the house. Rates are as follows:

Up to €127,000 Exempt
€ 127,001 - €190,500 Exempt
€190,501 - €254,000 Exempt
€254,001 - €317,500 Exempt
€317,501 - €381,000 3%
€381,001 - €635,000 6%
Over €635,000 9%

You can find all the rates on the Revenue website.

See for a summary of the Stamp Duty rules as they apply to property purchases. As others have already said the FTB grant was abolished a few years ago.

A first time buyer is exempt from stamp duty up to 317,500 ona second hand house.

Back