Stamp Duty charged twice on Credit Card

megabyte

Opened new C. Card account in June last year with Bank and transferred balance from other C..Card to new card and closed Account.Payed 40 Euro Stamp Duty for year to March 2008 with old card.
Got statement from old card saying Duty payed up to March.
Took until Dec to get this.Handed this into Bank when closing New account last month.
Now cleared New card and closed account last month but got statement saying to pay 30 Euro duty??
Is this correct as I have payed on Old card for the year up to March 2008 and closed the new account before April?

Re: Duty Twice on C. Card

Opened new C. Card account in June last year with Bank and transferred balance from other C..Card to new card and closed Account.Payed 40 Euro Stamp Duty for year to March 2008 with old card.
Got statement from old card saying Duty payed up to March.
I would imagine that this was in respect of the April 1st 2006-March 31st 2007 CC SD tax year...
Took until Dec to get this.Handed this into Bank when closing New account last month.
Now cleared New card and closed account last month but got statement saying to pay 30 Euro duty??
... and this was in respect of the April 1st 2007-March 31st 2008 CC SD tax year?

Is this correct as I have payed on Old card for the year up to March 2008 and closed the new account before April?
I would have thought it is wrong. I expect that you would have paid €40 on April 1st 2007 in respect of the April 1st 2006-March 31st 2007. Then you paid €40 in June, when closing your card, in respect of the April 1st 2007-March 31st 2008. You should not have been charged for closing your new card as you had already paid the cc tax for the year to March 31st 2008. I reckon your should look to get the €30 back (if you've paid it) from the provider of your recently closed card and maybe €10 refund from the provider of the previous card you closed, see here.

Sorry - I misread your original post. On the face of it it does look like you have paid twice (once at the old rate of €40 and second time at the new rate of €30) for the year to April 1st 2008. I agree with michaelm's last sentence.

Went back to the bank and mentioned that I had paid twice so they agreed and said I should not have to pay the 30 euro after closing the second account.

Back