Stalling a Builder

W

whelo76

Hi,

My new house is ready but i am not. Can me solicitor stall my builder. He says the house should be ready to snag in 2 weeks. What is the longest a builder will wait before getting upset and start harrassing you?
I have paid the intial 4000 and a further 12000. all let now is 10,000.

thanks

It might help others to answer your question if you can clarify how long you expect to need to stall the payments for, and (without being nosey), what is the reason for the delay.

The reason for stalling is that we got mortgage approved on the condition of my girlfriends selling. it has not sold (i cannot understand why). Went to EBS to see about bridging loan but he said cant get one until we get sale agreed. We dont want to drop the price as we feel it is already below what we should get for it. Although we are starting to believe that dropping is the only option. EBS said there may be a way to get it moving, by combining the 2 mortgages (new house and unsold house). I want to stall the builder as he said that we should snag next week, if we do so and get house signed off, we cant get at out mortgage until the house sells. I am hoping our solicitor can send a letter to the builder to explain the situation. I am sure it will be ok for a month or so to stall, just wondering if i wait any longer than that (house not selling) that the bulder will become frustrated and say get lost and so we loose our deposit................

Back