stairs - steel railings with glass

avoca

Renovating our house at the minute and starting to look at the stairs. Does anyone have any idea what kind of price I would be looking at to use glass panels to the side with a steel rail? If I go with a deal stairs, what are the options to cover the steps with - thinking of having pitch pine flooring upstairs and down so that kind of rules out carpeting the stairs.
Thanks

hi avoca, we had steel stairs made which cost about 2000 euro, then we bought toughened 9 or 12 mm glass and fittings for about 1200 from a local glassworks and then got wooden threads made up for steps from the joinery for about 800 euro, about 4000 altogether subcontracting each piece out ourselves which is a bit of a pain but we weren't able to get what we wanted otherwise. Best of luck.

Priscilla, Thanks for that - Do you mind me asking where you had the steel stairs made?

Avoca, we had them made in Strandhill, Co. Sligo, it was just a local guy who had set up a workshop at the back of a house working with steel so we explained exactly what we wanted and he and my brother in law who was a fitter made them up. I'm sure there's lots of guys out there doing a broad mix of stuff like the day before the guy had been out fixing a part of a digger onsite that had broken, not sure if he had actually done stairs before but they worked out ok for us. They are really heavy and quite awkward so bear that in mind for getting them into the house, they may need to be partially constructed on site. Hope this is of help, priscilla.

My kids are 7 and 12 years old and I find the glass dosen't get dirty much at all, maybe it's because they are a bit older and maybe use the handrail more.

Avoca, I saw what you are looking for in Talitech. They are based in Cork. Have a look at their website they have lots of photos of their products. I have no idea of cost though I can imaging its not too cheap for Glass and stainless steel.

Thanks for all of your replies. Priscilla, your stairs sounds fab. We want to keep the cloakroom underneath the stairs so are probably looking at a wooden stairs with glass panels and steel handrail. Will give Talitech a call - had a look at their site but all the stairs are open steel. Thanks though

Hi Avoca

What part of the country are you in. We're in the South East and got a steel stairs with stainess steel and glass rails and walnut threads. It looks the business. Had three different tradespeople involved. Not sure about putting steel on wood - reckon there would have to be steel involved somewhere in the undercarriage to hold the rails but could well be wrong about this as I'm far from an expert.

Hi hurling fan,
I'm in the South East also and interested in putting glass into a stairs, I'd appreciate any recomendations/experiences you have. Only looking into it at the moment but am slightly concerned about the kid factor...

Hi Hurling Fan

I am also in the South East and would like a glass and steel balcony. Would be really grateful for any names/contacts or advice you could provide.

Thanks in advance
Pudzer

Back