Stairs - need to know information before buying

Sparki74

We are at the stage of starting to look into costing of stairs for our specifications, before we approach any builder. Someone has told me about red deal (not sure if I spelled it correctly). We would be planning to put a carpet through the middle of the stairs. We are hoping to contact some stair companies in the Cork area this weekend. Any information will be most helpful. Thanks

Red Deal is a softwood and is commonly known as pine to some people - "Pine" covers a large number of woods in the Deal Species.

The older it gets & the more light it gets lovely tones of red and yellows come through. I have a Red Deal Stairs in my house (in fact everything internal in wood is Red Deal in my house except sittingroom floor which is Pitch Pine) all which is clear varnished (Diamond Coat to Floors, Stairs & Door Saddles). As it is a softwood it tends to get marked quiet easily, but as you said you plan to run a strip carpet up the centre.

If you are painting your stairs i.e. white a white deal stairs or white deal stairs (strings) with MDF threads (steps) would be just as good & cheaper.

We had a fairly basic red deal staircase made for our house last year. Just a straight run - for 800 euro. We got the richard burbridge metal spindles from Woodies which added another 400 euro. A carpenter fitted it all with a bit of help from me and neighbour lifting - for about 150 euro.
The metal spindles look really good and there's no varnishing needed.