Stairlift recommendations

DeeKie

My mother fell a few weeks ago, I think the stairs are getting too much for her. Has anyone bought a stairlift? Any tips on what to look out for or products to consider? Thanks

I got one for my mother two years ago. An expensive item as the rail for chair is purpose made for you stairtrack so no resale value. It was possible to get a second hand chair though. But worth it in the end for extending life in her own home. It involved a very detailed survey as initial visit, I think over two hours of measurements/video. That surprised me as thought it would be brief visit and then a quote. After order was made, there was a three week lead time and several hours on work on the day of installation. We opted for extra electric switch for a foot plate rather than a lever. It operates very simple with control on armrest, up or down and stop, and with two remote controls as well for upstairs and down. you will need to have electric connection at the ground floor to top up the battery but they installed same.

So pleased overall and has been used ... would have been worth it even for a few months to keep mother at home and not in care home. She will be 100 tomorrow. She lives in UK and Stannah was the company that supplied same. I was impressed that no permanant 'damage' is done to the fabric of the house and if removed, you would not be able to see where it was as supports go down into the floorboards thru carpet.

Some company's use too do an insurance package but not any more.
You have too pay for call out and service if it's over 4years old now.
Take the key out and put it sum where you will remember.
We went with irish stairlifts and paid 2500 about 6 years ago

There are grants available also. Some info here or It used to be possible to get the lift fitted and then claim the grant back but this no longer applies as far I am aware.

Yes, there's a grant available for housing adaptation. A friend's neighbour recently got some work done, including stair lift, downstairs bathroom, and improved access at front door. It's means tested, and I think you have to get the grant approved before you start.
Definitely worth looking into if your mum meets the means test. It used to be 95% grant if income was below 30k which was the case mentioned above.

I got one for my mother two years ago. An expensive item as the rail for chair is purpose made for you stairtrack so no resale value. It was possible to get a second hand chair though. But worth it in the end for extending life in her own home. It involved a very detailed survey as initial visit, I think over two hours of measurements/video. That surprised me as thought it would be brief visit and then a quote. After order was made, there was a three week lead time and several hours on work on the day of installation. We opted for extra electric switch for a foot plate rather than a lever. It operates very simple with control on armrest, up or down and stop, and with two remote controls as well for upstairs and down. you will need to have electric connection at the ground floor to top up the battery but they installed same.

So pleased overall and has been used ... would have been worth it even for a few months to keep mother at home and not in care home. She will be 100 tomorrow. She lives in UK and Stannah was the company that supplied same. I was impressed that no permanant 'damage' is done to the fabric of the house and if removed, you would not be able to see where it was as supports go down into the floorboards thru carpet.
Stannah was the one I was looking at. It came up first or second on the search. Is there much of an ongoing cost?

A friend of mine got one from one of the well known providers. It never worked properly and they were very poor in attempting to fix it. She hit the roof.

Brendan

Last edited:
Which provider was that Brendan? It’s a hard world to navigate

DeeKie,

Don't mind him, think he's joking as usual :) This was probably his friend :)

Relatives got one some years back. I will check out the supplier's name and get back to you. They did mention before that the more turns and twists on the lift the more expensive it will be. If you can have a straight run it will cost a lot less.

Thanks. I’m embarrassed I didn’t spot the joke. It’s a straight run up. Thanks Sue Ellen.

Stannah was the one I was looking at. It came up first or second on the search. Is there much of an ongoing cost?
Sorry just see your query. There was an optional maintenance contract that we did not take up ... I think it meant one call out visit and an annual service. It was installed Sept 2016 and still going.... and so is mother at 100 yrs and one week :)

Back