Stains on an Oak Table

Ballyman

I have a new solid oak table (<2 months) and I have found that it's incredibly easy to stain and/or mark it.

I spilt water on it a few weeks back and the stain from where the water was is till there???

it seems that any liquid of any description marks the table. Surely this can't be right??

Is there anything I can do (apart from a glass top and a cloth) to stop or get rid of this? Is this normal?? A bottle of oil, smells like cooking oil, came with the table. What is this for??

this sounds like my table! Ours came with a small sandpaper pad and a bottle of oil. I sand it down very gently every couple of weeks and then apply the oil and leave it to dry overnight. The oil restores the finish and also helps protect it and it looks like new every time.

The supplier should have informed you of the care instructions. The fact that the oil was supplied would suggest that it should have been treated before use. See here for details of some oil types and application instructions.
Leo

The supplier should have informed you of the care instructions. The fact that the oil was supplied would suggest that it should have been treated before use. See here for details of some oil types and application instructions.
Leo

Just the Thread I was looking for, recently took delivery of our table, it says I need Tung oil or Linseed oil, having read about the dangers of linseed oils and flamability etc, the tung oil seems like a better option, tried Homebase and they do a range of oils, but no Tung oil!!

Does anyone know where I can get some? Will try B&Q this weekend.

It had been treated before use by the manufacturers as it took a day or two to dry out properly.

So the advice is to sand lightly the affected area and treat with the oil afterwards??

Back