Stainless Steel Splashback Installation

Tangerine

Hi, I have just bought my first house (it's second hand). I am doing a bit of upgrading as I intend to avail of the rent a room scheme .

Instead of tiling behind the hob and sink area I am going to put up stainless steel splash backs. I have sourced a supplier in Annacotty , Limerick (got the name on askaboutmoney.com). They cut only according to the measurments which I give them.
Can I install them myself ? ( Only diy i have ever done is change a tyre!!) What does installation involve - do I stickthem to the wall or screw them in? Do I need something to seal them so that moisture doesn't get behind them?

Cheers,

Tangerine.

Hi Tangerine, welcome to AAM. I corrected that typo for you.

Couple of threads here previously on these, including this one which mentions gluing them up. This looks better than using screws or other fixings, but will render it almost impossible to remove without taking a good chunk of plaster with it.

Use a good quality panel adhesive spread well over the surface of the splashback, and make sure it is well supported while the glue sets. Use a small bead of clear silicone where the splashback meets counter tops to unsure water can't leech up behind.
Leo

Hi, thank you for the correction of the typo error.
Thank for the advise Leo, ok, seems straightforward and I should be able to do it. Was going for metal splashback because it is less expensive than tiles and also may be easier to remove than tiles. However obviously not with regard to removing it later but figure will still go with it.
Many thanks, tangerine