Stain on seat of new car

Cabaiste

Due to collect my new (new to me!) car today.

When I looked at it, I told the dealer there were 2 stains on the rear seats. He told me he would have the car re-valeted as part of the price. So we agreed and shook hands on a deal.

Today he rings me to know what time I would be there at to have the car ready. Ten minutes later he rings to say that they can't get one of the stains out (its a kinda yellowish stain which really stands out on the black interior!).

I bought the car because of its low mileage and full service history so I guess the stain doesn;t really effect that. But it does look unsightly (even if it is in the rear seat!)

Looking for advice on what to do? Should I try and get something off the price for this or maybe get him to throw in a good set of seat covers or something.

What would you do?

I would expect them to throw in the seat covers - the deal was apparently done on the stains being addressed in some way.

He told me he would have the car re-valeted as part of the price. So we agreed and shook hands on a deal.

So I cannot see how he will entertain you looking for more than what you shook hands on. I know I wouldn't if i were him. He acknowledged the problem and arranged for the best possible remedy. Unfortunately the valet cannot remove the stain, this is not the seller's fault. You have no case IMO.

He acknowledged the problem and arranged for the best possible remedy.

He said he would fix the problem, he tried the cheap remedy which was to clean it, it did not work so the next and best remedy is to get a replacement seat. On the cheap from a scrap yard or from the manufacture.

I would make sucking sounds and chance you arm for a few more bob off...

I would make sucking sounds and chance you arm for a few more bob off...

Problem with that is, I've already paid a deposit by cheque (already cashed and cleared through my bank account) and I have a bank draft made payable to the dealership for the balance.

Also, how do I know he had the car valeted and not just had one of the lads go at it with a rag and some generic detergent or something!

I just can't see him handing me back money for this!

He said he would fix the problem, he tried the cheap remedy which was to clean it, it did not work so the next and best remedy is to get a replacement seat.

Since when is a car valet cheap? Last time I had one done it cost €150 for the works. This is a used car, not a new car. The odd scrape and the odd stain are part and parcel of used cars. It's not a major issue. The most important thing (as was also stated by the OP) is the low mileage and FSH. Changing the seat altogether is a very unrealistic expectation. If the OP doesn't believe this, go ask the seller and see what his response will be.

He told me he would have the car re-valeted as part of the price. So we agreed and shook hands on a deal.

Today he rings me to know what time I would be there at to have the car ready. Ten minutes later he rings to say that they can't get one of the stains out (its a kinda yellowish stain which really stands out on the black interior!).

Cann't see you having a case (still worth asking but..). He re-valeted the care, as agreed. If the stain is yellow on black, then the fabric has been bleached/lightened in some way (that advert about "mum, I can't wait" springs to mind :eek:), so cleaning probably won't get rid of it.....you could try dying it black.

In fairness, he sounds like a very upfront guy.

He said he would fix the problem, he tried the cheap remedy which was to clean it, it did not work so the next and best remedy is to get a replacement seat.

He didn't say he would fix the problem. He said he would get it valeted and that's what they shook on. Sounds to me like he kept his side of the bargain.

He didn't say he would fix the problem. He said he would get it valeted and that's what they shook on. Sounds to me like he kept his side of the bargain.

Sounds to me like an empty promise. I wonder did he even do the valet or as I said before did they just have a quick wipe of a rag over it!

I wonder did he even do the valet or as I said before did they just have a quick wipe of a rag over it!

Due to collect my new (new to me!) car today.

When I looked at it, I told the dealer there were 2 stains on the rear seats. He told me he would have the car re-valeted as part of the price. So we agreed and shook hands on a deal.

Did you ask the seller what kind of valet exactly you were going to get? Did you agree that, if he failed in removing the stain, that you would be entitled to some recourse? Maybe the stain cannot be removed by a valet or cannot be removed at all. But if not, you have no agreement that the seller must do more.

Read the following...from callawash.com
[FONT=verdana, arial, sans-serif]Q: I have stains on my seats. Will you be able to get them out?[/FONT]

[FONT=verdana, arial, sans-serif]Most stains will come out but it's almost impossible to remove an oil-based stain and we've discovered that Lucozade is permanent. So it really depends on what has caused the staining and how long ago it happened. With dairy products, the stain itself will probably come out, but there could be a problem with the smell in the vehicle. Dairy products and bodily fluids( blood, urine, excrement, vomit) may cause a bacterial problem if they are not treated quickly. We will endeavor to do our best by disinfecting the problem area and airing the vehicle but the customer must understand that no guarantees can be offered. [/FONT]

Well picked up the car on Friday after.

Couldn't get anything out of the dealer. Gave me the usual story that he had nothing left in the deal and his boss wasn't happy that he sold the car at that price etc etc.

Stain isn't as bad as I originally remembered and it looks not so much like a stain as the colour being bleached or something!

The interior is black so i might try and bruch some dye into it or something!

Thanks for all the replies!

Back