Squeezing every penny

Kine

I have been a home owner for about 18 months now, and I reckon it took me at least 12 to start living "sensibly" with bills etc (i.e. starting shopping at LIDL etc).

However, apart from food, my biggest outgoings are my bi-monthly bills. I just received my last gas bill (€110 or so) and I was like "OK, not too bad, I wonder what comparable period last year cost?". Went digging through my files and found one for nearly the exact same period. it was €100 more!! So all I can say is, think before you press the button! "Do I actually need to blast the heat? Do I need to have it come on automatically every morning?". Its amazing how much you'll save.

We agree 100 % ..........If everyone could just ''look before they leap'' , its amazing how much can be saved .

...However, apart from food, my biggest outgoings are my bi-monthly bills....

If you mean your electricity and gas bills they are certainly not your biggest outgoings.

When you add up mortgage, food, clothing, entertainment, transport,alcohol (if you take a few jars), cigarettes (if you're a smoker) , mobile phone, etc., you will find that your energy bills are only a small portion of the total.

The last Central Statistics Office household survey showed that electricity accounted for less than 5% of the total weekly outgoings of the average Irish household.

It showed that the average household spends more on drink and cigarettes each week then it does on electricity.

Let's say the average electricity bill across the year is around €200. That is €25 per week or €3.60 per day. That ain't bad given the cost of other outgoings. Of course, we should all be doing more to conserve energy but let's not exaggerate the cost of light and heat in the overall scheme of things.

Regards

Fnergg

I don't drink (very rarely) or smoke. And I'll stand by my initial quote, out of all my bi-monthly bills (TV, Broadband etc) ESB were always the highest. Was merely mentioneing the fact that you can really reduce these bills if you think about it. Food ofc is #1, I'm a growing lad ;)

I think a pretty basic excel sheet is a good excercise.

Income V Outgoing.

Decent honest with yourself estimates to see where you stand.

Don't forget the yeary ones insurance and the like.

The odd various to cover Birthday weddings stuff like that.

Seeing it on paper may help to give some clarity as to what is needed and where a few bob can be saved.

Kine, you wouldn't come around and have a chat with my wife would you!!!

Back