Squeal Clutch

janedoe06

Must be the day for puntos!

Driving last night there was a mad squeal from the Car , u could really notice it when the window was down
But u could quieten it by either changing gear etc
I think its the Clutch thats going ! but i'm no expert

But it seems to ease off when the car gets warmer
The car was serviced just before xmas so is due to get service again

Its a 1997 Punto SX 1.2
normally its good enough
prev history service
Gasket has been replaced,Spark plugs, starter moter,exhaust , well they are the main parts any hows

Am i on the right track with the clutch ?
Today is Wed should i keep driving it , cause i would need the car cuase i'mworking nights and only next free day
would be Saturday

Last edited:
When does it squeak? If it's when you are moving off from a standing start it may be a clutch iss but it could also be a fan belt.

it squeaks most ot the time
But esp from a cold start it is alot noisier and then when i change gears say 4th to 3rd it quietens

Fan belt! that would be more dodgy cause that would throw the engine off kilter and f*** it up

last night for example it was a lot noiser at the night time
But today cause i did'nt start till 1 pm , and the day was warm it was fine to be honest not that noisy at all

But last night u could hear me coming really ,

It's your fan belt. I had 2 Puntos and both of them had this issue - once the belt heats up the noise goes away. I don't think it causes any particular problem - the fan belt is purely used to spin the alternator and thereby charge the battery. It has nothing to do with timing in the engine.

Definitely the alternator belt.Will squeal more in mornings after starting the engine and recharging the battery.Will also squeal at night when using lights etc.A simple fix!! Would probably be good to replace belt because the belt becomes glazed from prolonged slipping.

Back