squeaky brakes

ted

My brakes are squeaking on my new car and I've noticed that there is what looks like a film of brown on the discs. Could this be the problem?

Brake dust? I'm not sure. Do you mean actually squeaking/squealing or a grinding noise?

Is the car actually new or just new to you?

If brand new car - take back to dealer: often high temperature grease, as an extra lubricant can solve this. If older car, may sound like stating the obvious, but check pads/discs/clips etc

'Benign' brake squeal can happen to a greater or lesser extent on some cars - have heard (anecdotally) that e.g. Toyota are more prone than others...but not sure about this

If braking system OK, high temperature grease should certainly help - ask garage

Try dealer if new. Copper grease applied to the back of the pads often cures squeeling discs.

No brand new. Funnily enough the discs are perfectly clear today so whatever it was is gone but the screech is still there. I'll pop down to the dealer I think - Thanks guys

That "brown film" can simply be a bit of rust as weather has been pretty damped over the week-end , in Dublin at least. It goes away as soon as you use the car.