Square Footage/Square Metres

J

jenolan

I know I learnt this in school but for the life of me I can't remember how to work it out.

Do you just multiply the length by the width? Also how do you then convert this to square metres?

Square footage....this is assuming a rectanglre shape...and you can sub-divide 99% of rooms into sub rectangle if needs be...i.e. each side of a fireplace is a rectangle...then the rest of the room...etc

Measure both sides of the 'rectangle'.

To get square feet, make the measurements in feet, convert to decimal and multiply both. For example 6 feet 8 inches is 6.66 feet as 8/12 inches is .66

To get square yards convert the feet measurements to yards and multiply. That is takng the example above 6 feet 8 inches is 6*12 + 8 inches which is 80 inches. 80 inches is 80/36 (36 inches in a yard!) 2.22 yards.

Square metres is easier as you have no conversion to do. if you have 3.5 metres by 2 metres you just multiply.

The relationship of square yards to metres is that you look at the front of any desk diary!!!

1 square metre = 1.19 square yards
1 square yard = 0.83 square metres!!!

And I bet you this post crossed with someone else!

Google has a great converter

Multiply the length in feet by the width in feet to get square feet and divide by 10.7639104 to get square meters.

2 square metres versus 2 metres squared.

Are these the same or is 2 square metres = 4 metres squared?

Re: 2 square metres versus 2 metres squared.

Hi pedantic,

Imagine two large square tiles each measuring 1m long and 1m wide. When you put them together the area covered is 2 square meters.

I am not familiar with the term 4 "meters squared" so cant advise on its meaning. It certainly isnt standard usage in engineering or science. I might hazard a guess that what it means is 2 meters wide by 2 meters long in which case the are would be 2*2=4 square meters.

ajapale

mmmm

not so sure about that. As an engineer my understanding is that the correct term for the area covered by two 1m x 1m tiles is '2 metres squared' and not '2 square metres'.

The main advantages of SI is that it eliminates confusion!

Sorry Pedantic,

I'm partly wrong. And you are not being Pedantic. Maybe its because I is an Engineer.

Some of the confusion arises because this bb does not support (at least to the casual user) superscript so "m2" looks wrong. Ill bold and italicise the 2 so youll know it is supercript. ie m2

More confusion arises in the difference between spoken english and written english. When writing 10 m2 is the correct usage and when speaking english this is pronounced "10 meters squared". It is incorrect to write "10 meters squared" see point 8 in the quote from the NSAI:

Quote from NSAI "writing metric" [broken link removed]
One of the main advantages of SI is that it eliminates confusion because there is a unique symbol for each unit irrespective of the language used. You will also find it easier and in most cases faster to use the symbol instead of writing the name of the unit in full.

The basic rules for writing symbols are;
1.* * * * The symbols are always printed in upright type, irrespective of the type face used in the text: m N s

2.* * * * Symbols are written in lower case (not capitals), except when the unit name is derived from a proper name: m for meter, s for second, but N for newton, A for ampere. The exception is L for litre.

3.* * * * Prefix symbols are printed in upright type without spacing between the prefix symbol and the unit symbol: kg for kilogram, km for kilometre.

4.* * * * Symbols are never pluralised: 1 g, 45 g (not 45 gs)

5.* * * * Names and symbols should not be mixed: N.m or newton metre, but not N metre or newton m.

6.* * * * Never use a full stop after a symbol, except when it occurs at the end of a sentence.

7.* * * * Always use a full space between the numeral and the symbol: 45 g (not 45g). Exception: When the first character of a symbol (for non-SI unit) is not a letter, no space is left: 32ºC (not 32º C or 32 ºC), 75º 12' 45'' ( not 75 º 12 ' 45 '' ).

8.* * * * Symbols should be used in conjunction with numerals instead of writing out the unit names; when no numerals are involved unit names should be written out: Area of carpet is 16 m2 (not 16 square metres). Carpet is sold by square metre (not m2).

9.* * * * The product of two or more units in symbolic form may be indicated by a space or a dot: m s or m.s – metre second (not ms which would mean millisecond).

SI

Well done ajapale,this sheds some light,thanks.Quite often I read adverts for carpets (point 8 of your post ) or wallpapers that actually price the product for sale in
"m2" and not in "square meters".Are they correct or would that be a some sort of misleading of the consumers ?

Test to see if I can get metres squared m2

(As 0 would say .. this post was left intentionally blank)

Back