Spurious wifi networks appearing in my network list

Complainer

I have three spurious wifi networks that appear any time I do 'view available wireless networks' on my Win XP laptop. They even appeared while using my laptop during a flight recently, so I'm fairly confident that I'm not actually picking up these signals. They are listed as follows;

Free Public WiFi (On Demand)
wandN1N2 (Manual)
Hotel WIFI (Manual)

I tried searching the registry to see if there were some dodgy entries in there that might be causing this, but I couldn't find anything.

Should I be trying to eliminate these? How can I eliminate these?

Thanks - I've tried the recommended solution there;

1. Click on the Wireless option in the System Tray and open the Wireless Network Connection window.
2. Click on “Change advanced settings”.
3. In the Wireless Network Connection Properties window, click on the Wireless Networks tab.
4. Click on the Advanced button.
5. Click on “Access point (infrastructure) networks only”

But they are still appearing - any further ideas?

Are they networks you have previously connected to? Sometimes these are listed, even though they're not in range at the moment. The fact that they're not in range should be obvious enough though - for example, on my phone, it says "not in range, remembered" under the network. If this is the case, if you right click the network you should be able to 'forget' it.

Are they networks you have previously connected to? Sometimes these are listed, even though they're not in range at the moment.
Possibly, but I don't recall doing so. I suppose I might have tested them out once. They are listed with varying 'bar' strengths, indicating that they are actually in range, but I can't believe that the same three networks were available on the plane and at the offsite location where I was working yesterday.

The fact that they're not in range should be obvious enough though - for example, on my phone, it says "not in range, remembered" under the network. If this is the case, if you right click the network you should be able to 'forget' it.
No, no option to 'forget' it. I've tried going into the list of preferred networks under 'Change Advanced Settings'/'Wireless Networks' but none of them appear there.

Click on the wireless bar graph at the bottom RH of screen
Open Network Sharing Centre
Manage Wireless Network
Right click on the connections you do not need and delete