Springs or something 4 Self closing doors?

caitR

i've just had a surveyor in to check out a house i'm in process of buying... apparently due to type of building (timber frame/townhouse) there are supposed to be self closing fire doors in most rooms (to comply with fire regulations) -

the exisiting doors are fire doors, but they don't have the springs or whatever is needed to self-close.....

i've considered bringing it up with the vendor (or solicitor) as the house is new enough (8yrs old) that this should have been done to meet fire regulations, but i want the sale to go quickly and reckon that it wud just delay the sale....

so.. my questions are: what's involved in making the doors self-closing? what's best to use? I've seen chains between the door and frame in some houses, are these readily available? how easy are they to fit?
..... and most importantly how pricey is this gonna b?

Take a look at [broken link removed] for examples of what's available. Most builders providers and some DIY stores will stock a range of these. A competent DIYer should be capable of fitting the concealed ones you mention.
Leo

apparently due to type of building (timber frame/townhouse) there are supposed to be self closing fire doors in most rooms (to comply with fire regulations)

I live in a 2 year old timber frame house (single storey), first I've heard of this - does it only apply to two storey houses??

My only neighbour is the local fire chief - also in timber frame, single storey - none of his interior doors are self-closing.

When is this regulation supposed to have come in? Would have thought it wouldn't apply if it came into effect after the property was finished.

ACA said:
I live in a 2 year old timber frame house (single storey), first I've heard of this - does it only apply to two storey houses??

My only neighbour is the local fire chief - also in timber frame, single storey - none of his interior doors are self-closing.

hmm, don't know details of the fire regulations the surveyor was referring to, but the house is 3 story terraced, there may be different rules for single storey?
whatever fire regulation he was referring to was in place since '92 - so this place should have had the self-closing doors

i've seen other houses in the same estate with the springs on the doors..

ACA said:
When is this regulation supposed to have come in? Would have thought it wouldn't apply if it came into effect after the property was finished

it's not something that can be enforced after the fact - i think - but it is a saftey issue. if there were a fire, the smoke would be contained if the fire doors were closed... i guess it could have implications wrt liability if someone were hurt in a fire and probably might affect house insurance???

I think it may have to do with being three storey. If you convert your attic, and are using it as a bedroom, then the first floor doors are supposed to be self closing fire doors.

Back