Spouse told she does not qualify for Irish state pension

Tempo66

Advice welcome.

We should have realised this much earlier (could probably have bought back a year) but my wife told on retirement that she has just below the 520 (10 years) paid full rate contributions. She has something like 480. So less than a year short.

It is only AFTER reaching 520 that other years for child care and for caring for an elderly relative full time would be taken into account. These would total something close to 20 years. So instead of getting a fairly full Irish State pension she will receive nothing (as far as we understand).

The issue we feel is profoundly unfair, is that she was working and would easily have had more than 10 years (520). But she chose to leave work and care for an elderly parent, full time 24/7 care in our home. This was extremely demanding. It also saved the state costs of care. Of course when she did this we had no idea how long her parent would live. It ended up being nearly 5 years. My wife went back to work but just missed reaching 520.

Carers seem to be treated badly by the state in regard to pension contributions. She got 2 years 'reckonable credited' as a carer when she got carer's benefit (this lasted only 2 years, she got nothing credited for the other 3 years) but these do NOT count to the reckonable paid contributions. But the whole problem is that family carers can't be in paid work. (I wonder how family volunteer full time carers ever qualify for an Irish state pension since they are not in 'paid' employment - even though they are working in incredibly demanding jobs).

In effect it seems she will be financially penalised by the state for the rest of her life for caring 'too long' for her parent.

We have appealed the decision (you get a very short time to respond and appeal) and asked on the basis of fairness and justice that we be allowed to 'buy back' retrospectively the 40 weeks or so that she is short of the magic number of 520. We have not heard a decision yet.

Has she looked into applying for the Homecaring Periods Scheme?

Has she looked into applying for the Homecaring Periods Scheme?
I assumed that this meant that they did not qualify?
It is only AFTER reaching 520 that other years for child care and for caring for an elderly relative full time would be taken into account.
And, normally, SW are very good at figuring out what an individual qualifies for without them asking.
But mistakes and oversights can also happen.

We have appealed the decision (you get a very short time to respond and appeal) and asked on the basis of fairness and justice that we be allowed to 'buy back' retrospectively the 40 weeks or so that she is short of the magic number of 520. We have not heard a decision yet.

Have you asked for a personal hearing?

Even with child and other heavy caring responsibilities 480 contributions seems on the low side by age 66.

Are you sure her record is correct? Mistakes occasionally happen and if you have evidence of unrecorded employment it may be possible to have this added to her record.

Otherwise did she by any chance ever work in the UK? If so she may be able to qualify there:

I assume that your wife has received a correct tally of "stamps" paid over the years. When my wife was looking for her State pension they were actually able to trace back stamps paid from age 16.

We may when we hear back. My main issue is with how carers seem to be penalised for caring.

But that's a public policy issue and has nothing to do with the Department of Social Protection whose role is to apply the legislation correctly.
You need to bear in mind that no Appeals Officer can overturn legislation.
This means that if the Operational Guidelines for the scheme have been applied correctly, then your appeal will probably fail - irrespective of whether you think that your spouse has been unfairly or badly treated.

Perhaps you need to think a bit harder about this; why not contact your local Citizens Information Office and ask them to help you put together your case?

I assume that your wife has received a correct tally of "stamps" paid over the years.
I wouldn't assume that at all. I had an employer at age 16/17 that withheld PRSI and I'm nowhere near retirement age.

The first thing the OP should do is verify that his wife's payment record is correct.

Just for information, we eventually have heard that my wife will get c €180 pw pension - so about 2/3 of a full state pension. So in some ways better than we feared and yet a good bit below what she would have got if years of childcare and caring were included.

Just for information, we eventually have heard that my wife will get c €180 pw pension - so about 2/3 of a full state pension. So in some ways better than we feared and yet a good bit below what she would have got if years of childcare and caring were included.
Did they give an explanation of how they reached that figure?

If your wife had been refused a State Pension and has no other income source and you have a full State Contributory Pension, you could have applied for a dependent's increase on your pension of €237.80 per week.

Good news . Can i ask do you have full State pension or likely to have in the future? It might be better to get added as adult-dependent which would be €237.80 per week if your pension is 20 or more Yearly average PRSI contributions. Have a chat with citizens advice

Did they give an explanation of how they reached that figure?
Yes and no. She had worked outside Ireland and they gave a full record of all her contributions, but did not give a worked calculation of how the figure was arrived at.

If your wife had been refused a State Pension and has no other income source and you have a full State Contributory Pension, you could have applied for a dependent's increase on your pension of €237.80 per week.
I'm not at pension age yet, but will bear in mind thanks

Yes and no. She had worked outside Ireland and they gave a full record of all her contributions, but did not give a worked calculation of how the figure was arrived at.
That's a shame. Would have been interesting to see how they'd worked it out. Is it actually in payment now? I thought everyone got a letter explaining how much they were going to get, and how the figure had been reached.

That's a shame. Would have been interesting to see how they'd worked it out. Is it actually in payment now? I thought everyone got a letter explaining how much they were going to get, and how the figure had been reached.

She could FoI her SW file and would get the calculation sheet in it. Although in my experience, SW are normally quite happy to send out the calcs - without going through the red tape of a FoI request - if requested.

If that's the case than a spouse doesn't need to work ever for a pension. If the wife's pension now is €180 is the husband able to get 237-180 = 57

What age is your wife?
Did she work in the UK, there was a marvelous scheme to allow people claim back pension years, but I think that's out of date now.
You should look at your own record. You can request it form the department (Sligo or Donegal) and it will show you year by year how many stamps/contributions you have made).
Did your wife not receive this with the latest decision.

If that's the case than a spouse doesn't need to work ever for a pension. If the wife's pension now is €180 is the husband able to get 237-180 = 57

If she is getting the State Contributory Pension and he passes the means test then he would be eligible for a IQA payment.

A weekly pension of c. €180 suggests that the IQA could be about €115 a week as he's under 66.

Back