Sportoholics

brian.mobile

...I believe the definaition of an alcoholic goes along the lines of if alcohol interupts aspects of your lifestyle, you have a problem.

EG:

Hangover: not getting up for work
Broke: spent monmey one booze

Therefore when I heard of some Cork Grandparents going to Heineken Cup Final in Cardiff in lieu of their nieces 'Holy Communion', should I brand them Sportoholics? I don't think they were related to any players...

I love Sport, what are your views on people who choose sport over family?

BM

brian.mobile said:
.. should I brand them Sportoholics? I don't think they were related to any players...

IMHO they could be more accurately termed MunsterRugbyBandwagonJumpingEventJunkie - oholics.

Putting family second ?
'Far from Grand'-parents.

Many years ago, when attending one of my (many) cousins First Holy Communion, the child (and his granddad) stated that unless there was a TV broadcasting the soccer match on the venue, they won't be attending. They had annual memberships to that team, and it was the last match of the season, and the team had chances to become the champion of La Liga (not an usual thing for the Atletico de Madrid, and they also happened to be the Champioms of the Kings Cup that year). They had their TV, and everyone was more interested watching the match than taking to the attendees.....I think one can be a sports fan (Sportoholics i reckon it might use more for people that practice sport in excess), but you shouldn't let it interfere with you live and your family events.

TarfHead said:
IMHO they could be more accurately termed MunsterRugbyBandwagonJumpingEventJunkie - oholics.

Putting family second ?
'Far from Grand'-parents.
exactly,i met a group of girls in munster jerseys in dublin over weekend and asked them about some of the munster players and they hadnt a clue! i hate those people that go to soccer rugby non sporting events etc because it fashionable and to "have the craic" regardless of the events outcome /nature,its just an excuse for a session/weekend away for a lot of people.

Like the vast majority of Munster fans who don't bother to go to their Celtic League matches? Fair weather fans?

There was a hilarious "Irishman's Diary" in the Irish Times on Monday 12 May. A guy was comparing Monaghan's championship clash with a holy communion ceremony.

As to the Munster match and fair weather fans-so what?

All-Ireland: 80,000
League match in Carlow in February: 2,000

Ireland v. France, WC Qualifier: 40,000
Finn Harps v. Kildare County: 3,000

Ireland v. England, Six Nations: 40,000
Clontarf v. Belfast: 2,000

and so on. That's the nature of sport, bigger events attract more attention. The truly dedicated supporters will be members of clubs etc. and will generally have no bother getting tickets on the big day. That's fair enough. If you are an avid armchair fan you have no more right to a ticket than anyone else-that's life.

As to grandparants going to a Munster match ahead of a communion-that's their own decision-and I probably would have done the same.

P.S. TarfHead and Purple-any Leinster bias in your posts :p .

CCOVICH said:
P.S. TarfHead and Purple-any Leinster bias in your posts .
Yea, so? I'm not defending the Leinster fair weather fans (of which I am one)
P.S. Pride V Stress
PRIDE: when your son is the hooker for
Munster Rugby.

STRESS: when your daughter is the
hooker for Munster Rugby.

CCOVICH said:
P.S. TarfHead and Purple-any Leinster bias in your posts :p .

From the Sunday Times ..
"
Two weeks after filling Lansdowne Road for the quarter-final, Munster couldn’t fill Thomond Park for the visit of the Edinburgh."

Who needs a bias when the facts do the work for you ;) ? And before you diss that paper, the article was written by Corkman Denis Walsh.

TarfHead said:
From the Sunday Times ..
"
Two weeks after filling Lansdowne Road for the quarter-final, Munster couldn’t fill Thomond Park for the visit of the Edinburgh."

Who needs a bias when the facts do the work for you ;) ? And before you diss that paper, the article was written by Corkman Denis Walsh.

Indeed-read it myself.

As I said, that phenomenon is not confined to Munster fans.

People were queuing to buy tickets to a fairly meaningless game against Cardiff this weekend-what a difference a day makes :).

brian.mobile said:
Therefore when I heard of some Cork Grandparents going to Heineken Cup Final in Cardiff in lieu of their nieces 'Holy Communion', should I brand them Sportoholics? I don't think they were related to any players...

I love Sport, what are your views on people who choose sport over family?

BM

I can't see a problem with this. My view would be that it's only a Communion. No big deal.

Depending on the event, I would choose sport over family. I would certainly choose the world cup final/champions league final/Heinekin Cup final or semi/World darts final/Olympic track and field and many more over a communion/confirmation/birthday party. Most of my family would agree.

All my family are sports addicts. I remember many years ago my mother lying on the floor in my sitting room watching a football match with a slipped disk. She was in agony, but she wouldn't go to the hospital until the game was over.

I just read my last post. The first line sounds bitchy, it was meant to sound funny. Apologies CCOVICH.

Interesting views y'all.

I'll be keeping it family, as oppossed to sporting, throughout my life.

I'd don't think Ronan O'Gara will nurse me on my deathbed. My family might.

;-)

BM

Purple said:
I just read my last post. The first line sounds bitchy, it was meant to sound funny. Apologies CCOVICH.

To err is human, to forgive is divine :D .

No harm done at all Purple.

brian.mobile said:
I'll be keeping it family, as oppossed to sporting, throughout my life.

My earlier contributions to this were distracted by my biases.

Yes - family before all else. This is a particularly raw topic for me as my brother is continually choosing anything else over family functions, most recently last Sunday for our mother's birthday.

Earlier this year he elected to go to work on a Sunday thus making himself unavailable to mark Mothers Day with his family. Not only that but his presence at work required others to be there too, thus extending the disruption to other families.

He's 46 - can I get him put up for adoption :rolleyes: ?

On the point of fair weather supporters - what would have been better - all 60,000 'fair weather supporters in Cardiff shouting the team on or a few hundred of the 'core' support huddling in a corner of the stadium. I know what the team would prefer.

I've been following Kerry football since I was 4 years old with my Dad but I live in Dublin now and wouldn't go down the country for the Munster matches. That said, I'd never miss a semi-final or final and would skip any occasion to go to them. Does that make me a fair-weather supporter?

Apparently at the priests and my grandads request my christening time was changed cos Dublin and Kerry were playing!!

And my friend and her partner put of their honeymoon cos he had a match to play the morning after their wedding.

Back