Sporting Moral Hazard

Moral hazard averted...

Republic of Ireland's already remote chances of earning a place in the Euro 2024 qualifying play-offs came to an emphatic end as Slovakia booked their spot in next year's finals with a 4-2 victory over Iceland in Bratislava.

And here was I thinking we had a chance :rolleyes:

The fact is they will probably get hammered .....I hope not but I feel they just might....

OK! Netherlands won 1 - 0 and should have won by more. Irish international football is at an all-time low. Outside the past few years where we qualified for major tournaments our international football team were just as near rock bottom. Stephen Kenny thought he could advance Irish football, He tried and I don't blame him. His contract likely won't be renewed, but that doesn't take from the man. Afterall, he's dealing with the FAI always run by the most controversial people known to man. Look at what happened to Vera Pauw just a few weeks ago.

We have a choice of players that are England rejects and some good footballers from the league system in England. Do we have players who want to play for Ireland? That I can't answer. Some probably want to play for us, but I suspect most don't. The FAI will enter the blame game rather than looking where the problem started.

The result wasn't too bad after all. I know a defeat isn't good at any time.
I don't blame Stephen Kenny either ...just look at the standard of players he has to deal with. I honestly don't know who would take this job. The standard has dropped so much since the Bonner, Moran, O Leary , Brady Stapleton , both Keane's ,Aldridge etc etc. At that time we had almost all Premiership standard players. Good luck to whoever takes the job........they are going to need it.

Kenny's reign was disappointing, he didn't have the players or luck. I remember Ireland getting a result in Russia under Trappatoni that if we'd lost 3-0 we could have had no objections. Martin O'Neill and an Italian side already qualified at the Euros.
I think a more pragmatic approach is needed, I don't think we had the players for Kenny's style especially in centre defence and midfield, you could see the defence passing the ball around when it made no sense, causing jeopardy.
But I'm not even sure we have the kind of players anymore that make route one the option it used to be - where's the target man?

Back