Splitter _really_ needed for PhoneWatch & Broadband?

Squonk

Hello, I got broadband recently. I also have Eircom Phonewatch. From previous threads I was under the impression that I had to get an additional splitter installed to prevent the broadband interfering with the Phonewatch monitoring service. So, I ordered a sevice call from a Phonewatch technician to install which they are schedule to do this week. Anyhow, I left my house yesterday and turned on the alarm as a matter of habit. 10 minutes later I got a call from Phonewatch saying that the alarm had gone off. (It was a false alarm, I had left conservatory windows open). Now my computer and broadband were turned off at the time. How did Phonewatch receive the signal? I haven't had their splitter installed yet. Is there no interference issue when broadband is turned off? The Phonewatch lady told me that sometimes the system works with broadband and sometimes it doesn't but it would be better for me to get the splitter installed as its more consistant? This sound very strange to me. So, my question : if I'm happy to turn off my PC and broadband when I leave my home, do I really need this additional splitter at a cost of ~€90?? Thanks.

Thanks Tiger...however, what I'm asking is do I actually need a splitter at all for Phonewatch? From my experience it seems that Phonewatch still seems to work without a splitter (at least whan my PC is turned off)?

Squonk said:
Thanks Tiger...however, what I'm asking is do I actually need a splitter at all for Phonewatch? From my experience it seems that Phonewatch still seems to work without a splitter (at least whan my PC is turned off)?

But it seems your experience is limited to situations where your PC and broadband were off, are you comfortable that will be the case every time you are relying on your Phonewatch alarm?

dam099 said:
But it seems your experience is limited to situations where your PC and broadband were off, are you comfortable that will be the case every time you are relying on your Phonewatch alarm?

Yes, I'm quite happy to switch off my PC every time I turn on my alarm; I only turn on the alarm when I'm leaving the house and I never leave my PC turned on when I'm out of the house in case it catches fire or something!

Hi

Im running into similiar situation (I want to move phone provided from Eircom to Perlico, have BB with Eircom & can't move due to a work issue & also have Eircom Phonewatch), how much does it cost to get the spliter installed pls ?

Thanks

G>

Hi

Im running into similiar situation (I want to move phone provided from Eircom to Perlico, have BB with Eircom & can't move due to a work issue & also have Eircom Phonewatch), how much does it cost to get the spliter installed pls ?

Thanks

G>
Phonewatch charged me about €70

Thanks

- is everything working OK now, without the need to turn on or off certain appliances (ie PC off to get Phonewatch on etc) in order to get others working etc ?

Cheers

G>

I have BB and Phonewatch and it all worked okay for a couple of weeks before I had a splitter installed. My understanding was that although they may start out working together a problem can occur at any time and so I fitted the splitter. It was 90 from Phonewatch or 100+ from Eircom. Small money for peace of mind.

It stands to reason that if the PC and modem/router are switched off it's the same as not having them in the house at all so the Phonewatch system will work okay. OTOH you can't rule out the possibility that a false alarm can be initiated when BB is working and although it doesn't matter if you are at home, Phonewatch will get fed-up if they continue. I've had Phonewatch for 14 years and have had a couple of false calls - but not because of BB. What I'm saying is that false calls can happen.

A monitored alarm will work perfectly with broadband as long as there is line seizure(which is the way it always shoud be anyway). Ie the alarm gets the incoming line before the broadband modem. Its as simple as that . Eircom are the only ones that make a big deal out of this. The only rean to change this configuration is if you have monitored cameras that need DSL on the line to transmit camera images in the event of an alarm activation