Split NTL connection - how to get best picture?

doogo

Can someone out there tell me if there is a way to minimise the amount of 'snow' that is received on split cable connection?

Try a booster.

I bought one in LIDL some months back and it does an OK job. I would assume that if I paid more that I would get a better result. It plugs in to an electrical socket and has one co-ax in and 2 co-ax out ports.

I know Power City have them but don't know how good they are. Somewhere like Maplins or Peats could have a better range of choice.

I find that cutting and joining the TV cable to be the biggest source of 'Snow'.

This can be improved if you use the screw together co-ax joiners - available in DIY shops.

They look like.....

[broken link removed]
or

http://www.cybermarket.co.uk/ishop/923/shopscr116.html

Use an amplifier as well (NTL use the Viewsonics type - see passives at viewsonics.com)

My amplifier from Argos didn't solve my problems so I dis-assembled the cable again, shortened it and took more care when putting the connector again and most of the snow was gone.

Amplifying a signal that already suffers from interference will not solve the interference problem in case anybody was under any illusion. As mentioned above the best way to avoid interference is to (a) make sure that the original input is delivering a clear signal otherwise get ntl: out to fix it and (b) use good quality cables and connectors and reasonably short runs of cable to ensure no degradation in the signal.

thanks guys

input signal from ntl OK - tried the shortened lead lengths - cleaned up the snow significantly