Spilt Tea on keyboard, now some keys dont work?

oddjob

Hi guys

Wondering if anyone can help me out on this...I spilt a small amount of tea (milk no sugar) on keybaord yesterday and dried it immediately wth a tea towel. Laptop itself is workng fine except some of the keys need to
pushed down really hard then there are 2 or 3 key that dont work at all. I may have pressed down on the keys too hard in an attempt to dry it completely. Anyone any ideas on how I can get the keys back working properly or do I need to replace the keyboard. If it needs replacing could I do it myself or do I need a professional to do it. Ive tried the hairdryer on it on a low setting but no joy

THanks

If it comes to it you may need to try disassembling the laptop/keyboard to see if you can salvage it. If not then you may be able to get it repaired or do it yourself (e.g. buy a spare keyboard or broken laptop for spares on eBay). If you cannot salvage the keyboard then you may need to make do with an external keyboard. Worst case scenario is that you need a new laptop (obviously).

As a last resort , take the keyboard out of the laptop (you should be able to unscrew and detach cable) , soak in warn water (just water , nothing else) for an hour... then dry on a radiator for 24 hours before plugging back in....

Is that such a good idea? I can't imagine that it'll do the springs or any other metal components in the keyboard any good...

Is that such a good idea? I can't imagine that it'll do the springs or any other metal components in the keyboard any good...

Doesn't cause a problem , once they are dried out fully quickly and fully... but it is last resort stuff....

As a last resort , take the keyboard out of the laptop (you should be able to unscrew and detach cable) , soak in warn water (just water , nothing else) for an hour... then dry on a radiator for 24 hours before plugging back in....

I 2nd this method - tried and tested

I'd go for a more gentle approach . Why not just wash/rinse the tea from the plastic/metal components and leave them to air dry ?

I dont like the idea of leaving anything metal to soak in water. It will most likely rust after a few hours if left over night.
Also leaving plastic keys on a hot radiator could possibly warp them.

In spite of my earlier skepticism about washing the keyboard in water maybe I was wrong - see [broken link removed]! :D

Back