Spices and Recipes

Yes, when the leaves are bare that's when they usually give up on me... so having more than one is a good idea. Do you keep them inside or outside?

Inside, in a place that gets some sun but not loads of sun (floor by patio doors, gets morning and some afternoon sun).

I got these little sets of 3 herb pots that sit into a little drain container, you can just rotate them along as youre harvesting them.

At the moment Im working off a terracotta style pot that has side openings as well so Im harvesting off the top right now and will move along to the sides when the top gives up the ghost.

Also with basil, don't water it until the leaves start to droop, then sit the pot in some water and let it soak up as much as it wants for an hour or so. Don't water from the top as it doesn't like it.

I like tomatoes roasted with basil- just finely chop some shallots and basil, mix with a little olive oil, sprinkle on halved tomatoes and roast in oven. Simple but nice.

Thanks, I'll try those tips. I tend to keep it on the window sill and water from the top - I've also found in teh garden that plants in terracotta pots stay moist longer, so will try that too.

I love basil stirred into any tomato thingy too - for a very quick studenty dinner, some tomatoes (cherry is best), red onions, whatever veg are hanging around, put them all in a pot, and some tuna if feeling very broke, heat it all up, then add basil, and sometimes a spoon or two of creme fraiche to make it a richer creamier sauce - on top of wholegrain pasta... mmmmm

If you're slow cooking anything - casseroles or bolognaise for instance - 2-3 bay leaves really makes a huge difference to the flavour. Tear them along the centre first.

Also, if you're using parsley in a dish the stems have a lot more flavour than the leaves.

Finally, tear basil, never ever chop it with a knife.

Parsley is absolutely lovely with potatoes. boil potatoes, peel and through in a pan with parsley and a tiny bit of butter, delicious. Also really nice is putting balsamic vinegar on chicken and then just put in the pan. really good. Caraway seeds work lovely with pork (only small amount though). You can sprinkle fresh chives pretty much onto anything..

When cooking mince, I fry the onion, garlic and chili at the start and add dried parsley, dried basil and dried oregano (A sprinkling of all 3). Salt and black pepper.
Later, when I've added the mince, I add a good teaspoon of nutmeg and a sprinkling of cinamon. I add lemon peel and a bay leaf and then the tinned tomatoes/gravy and stock... I pour in a good 5 or 6 drops of "Lea and Perrins Worchester sauce" and Tabasco (If you add a small amount, it will give flavour and not spice). I add fresh parsley and maybe fresh basil, on serving, simply sprinkled over the top.

My favourite chicken recipes are my own creations so maybe to my taste only but play about with proportions of the spices to suit your own taste:
1) Fry onions, garlic, chili and ginger, add dried corriander, garam masala (curry baswed spice), curry paste, tumeric and lastly, a good tablespoon of curry paste. I like "Patak's" curry paste ('Madras' which is hot, but seeing as you're not keen on too much spice, maybe the 'Balti' version is more to your taste, it's medium) Fry this, keeping it moving around the pan, nothing worse than burnt garlic! Yuk!
Push to the sides and add your diced chicken and brown all over. Then add what ever veg you like. I add peppers, even celery if it's lying in the fridge, carrot... anything I'm looking rid of...! Fry and move about the pan a bit. After 5 minutes, add tinned tomatoes and a pinch or two of sugar, salt and black pepper. Again the Lea and Perrins a nd a bay leaf and leave for about half hour, simmering on the hob or in the oven if you prefer. I have checked the label and there does not seem to be any MSG in tany of the products listed. I sprinkle fresh corriander over this and it's delicious!

2)I call "Basil's Hot Chick!" So, in this one, limit the chilli...
Fry garlic, ginger, red onion, chilli and dried basil. Add red and yellow peppers. Fry together for 2/3 minutes. Add tinned tomatoes and leave to simmer till veg cooked. Stir in fresh basil just before serving. Serve with a grilled chicken breast and brown rice. A good healthy and very tasty and simple dish.

3)The simplest of all and probably something you know... Place a chicken breast in a piece of tin foil. Add a good sprig of fresh thyme and sage, a wedge of lemon, couple of cloves of garlic (smashed, not even peeled!), wedge of onion or red onion and a drop of white wine. Wrap up and bake in the oven for about 25 minutes or so. The smell in the house and when you open up your parcel is incredible. As for the flavour...mmmmmmmmmmmm!

Ainsley Harriot has a nice recipe called "Fast Fragrant curry" It's not spicy but very tasty and uses natural yogurt so healthier than cream or coconut cream........ Let me know if you cannot find it on the internet...

Hope these are of some use. The more you experiment with herbs, the more familiar you are with them, the foods they compliment and the amount needed!

Oh, I have one more recipe, It is a Darina Allen one, I think. It's scrumptious. Again limit the chilli to your taste.

Heat oil oin pan. Add chilli flakes and a tin of good quality tomatoes and a good table spoon or 2 of chopped fresh rosemary (my favourite herb) and chopped, de-skinned chorizo. Add a pinch of sugar. Simmer and allow to reduce, considerably, (about ten minutes or so). Take off the heat and add a small amount of cream (I use soya cream, usually) it is a very small amount so I don't worry too much about it, it's usually a treat meal anyway so...
Add cooked pasta to this and sprinkle with fresh parmesan, if desired. I don't, I like the other flavours too much!

Happy cooking