Spices and Recipes

Speedwell

Hi all,

Am trying to cut out adding extra sauces in my dinners so last night I did chicken and veg in Chinese 5 Spice (and it was yum)!

So it got me thinking there must be loads of spices out there that you can add to your dinner to make it more appetising instead of sauces.

So if anyone has some suggestions for spices to be added that would give an evening meal a nice fat free lift I would be very grateful.

Bear in mind that I do not like very hot spices.

Thanks all.

Not a spice as such, but garlic is indispensible IMO - are you a fan? If not, become one! Healthy too.

Personally, I put it in nearly everything.

But a better way to approach this is maybe list a few of the types of foods you like and then spice suggestions can be made?

Spices need a bit more respect than e.g. herbs and (IMO) should be matched a bit more carefully with what you are eating. That said, herbs (e.g. rosemary with spuds, lamb, chicken, fried mush&onion) also give a good lift. My personal favourite herbs would include coriander (not for everyone) and dill (fab with fish, cream sauces, spuds). Non-hot spices that are versatile would include (again IMO, I don't doubt there are others): sweet paprika, nutmeg, cumin (ground and seeds), coriander seeds, saffron. And there's always the staple favourites of lime, lemon, garlic, worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, yoghurt.

Have a look [broken link removed] for ideas of what to use what with. Or here for something far more comprehensive, although probably a little less user-friendly if you are looking for straight info on recipes. Or [broken link removed] for a list of BBQ rubs (don't have to be used for BBQ specifically). Also, cookbooks tend to have a small summary section on herbs and spices with suggested uses - you are dead right, it's amazing what they can do to a simple dish!

Yes I love garlic. So that is usually thrown in.

I'm thinking of:

chicken and veg

mince / homemade mince burgers

turkery and veg

pork

Just ordinary evening meals as I am not very creative in the kitchen and want quick meals.

i can't remember the brand but if you look in the spice rack of the supermarket you should find a barbeque one (i think it might be sharwoods). That's gorgeous on steak or chicken. i'll check the name of it this evenng at home! Aromat (Knorr) is also lovely on meat, it's in a little pepper type shaker and should be with all the condiments in the supermarket.

Last edited:
... Aromat (Knorr) ...
Main active ingredient is monosodium glutamate or MSG (also contained in savoury spreads, stock cubes, soups, etc) which has caused some health concerns.

A flavour-enhancer, its main effect is to make small amounts of chicken in a dish taste like "more chicken".

I think most of the commercial pre-mixed 'spices' have this in them?
I try to avoid them.

Not strictly spices, but I love a thai mixture of fresh coriander, chopped red chili, fresh ginger and garlic. Fry up in some oil to release the flavours to the oil, then add whatever it is you're cooking - could be fish, chicken, pork, stir-fry vegetables, whatever. Add a dash of fresh lime juice at the end and serve with some noodles. Simple and so tasty. Great for leftovers too, when you can't face having a 'reheated' meal. (I hate having the same meal 2 days in a row.)

Oh sorry I should have said herbs too.

I did not realise that MSG was in those little jars of spices?!

Is it hard to grow and keep fresh herbs? I am in no way green fingered!

It's really easy to grow fresh herbs. I have a long rectangular plant pot on my kitchen window and grow chives, basil and oregano. They grow like crazy with a good dose of water and the sunlight through the windowsill.

Also found this recipe for a healthy stir fry sauce

2 Shallots, peeled
Small piece fresh ginger, peeled
1 Clove Garlic
1 Tablespoon Soy Sauce
Dash White Wine Vinegar
1 teaspoon mustard
2 teaspoons tomato puree

Last edited:
Sweet paprika is a handy spice. It's not hot and gives good flavour. There's a spanish smoked version available that's very good. You can, for example, sprikle some on some pork chops and rub a little olive oil in. Hey presto, paprika pork.

Cumin powder is also good to use on its own.

I add fresh basil to anything with a tomato base. I do grow my own, dead easy.

Crushed fennel seeds are amazing on pork.

OK since herbs are now also in, the following are fairly standard 'classic' combinations:

I put loads of cajun spice on fresh or defrosted salmon filets/steaks and then throw them in the frying pan. It really jazzes up the salmon, and is not spicey in case you are worried.

I put loads of cajun spice on fresh or defrosted salmon filets/steaks and then throw them in the frying pan. It really jazzes up the salmon, and is not spicey in case you are worried.

I could not find cajun spice in the supermarket only hot cajun spice. Am I too presume that they are different, i.e. one slightly hotter than the other?

Piri Piri is really nice on loin of bacon, put some olive oil on the bacon, sprinkle Piri Piri on top and leave overnight if possible. Bake in oven. Superquins continental bacon is the same as this.
Piri Piri is good on chicken too, can be a bit hot though as it has chillies.

What's your secret? My Basil and Coriander always die. Other herbs seem to do ok, but I always kill those ones.

I dont really have a secret, I use a pot that has a drain, so the water can drain out, and I water it when it begins to look a little limp, but usually once Ive started harvesting it it begins to die off after a few weeks of use. I tend to keep more than one pot on the go so while one is in use, the other is growing, then when its time to dump the used lot the growing lot is ready for a few weeks use.

Yes, when the leaves are bare that's when they usually give up on me... so having more than one is a good idea. Do you keep them inside or outside?