spending money for honeymoon in thailand

Sarah

Hi all,

Can anyone help me out here? We are going to thailand at the start of Dec this year for our honeymoon and am wondering how much spending money we should bring with us...we were thinking of about € 1000 each for the two weeks but will we need more? Also, any tips about the place would be wonderful. We are hopefully staying in the Imperial Samui in Koh Samui. Is most places walking distance? Is it safe to walk around at night? That kind of thing or any places that are a must see.

Cant wait...only another 9 long months to go!!!

Thanks in advance!

Not sure what to advise re: spending money as it all depends on what kind of holiday you want. You can spend as much or as little as you want in Thailand, but Ko Samui would be a bit more pricey than a lot of the other islands.

where you are saying is along chaweng beach i think, this area is the biggest strip on Samui. loads of bars, restaurants etc. so loads of people around and can get a bit much at times.
So as an alternative to that, there is an area called The Fisherman's Village in BoPhut. It is a lot smaller than chaweng and has really nice bars and restaurants there, much more chilled out / romantic / classier place's.
When we discovered this area we went back every night. Its probably 10 / 15 mins in a taxi from chaweng.

Both my daughters stayed seperately, at different times, in Ko Samui, one two years ago and the other last year. They didn't find it expensive at all. I stayed in Pattaya four years ago and the currency rate then was around 46 bhat to the Euro. I see it has changed very little since then.To give you an idea of what we payed - you might be getting your main meal in your hotel though - a Chicken and Cashew Nut meal and a pint of the local beer in our "local" cost €4. In an upmarket restaurant, a three course meal with a bottle of wine between 3 of us cost €20. There's a lot of junk in the markets but some of the shops have quality items at a fraction of the cost they would be elsewhere. I spent €25 for high quality cotton for curtains for 3 very large picture windows and posted it home. I staggered to the post office with it and they parcelled it up for me. I loved Thailand and so did my daughters. Enjoy!!

Imperial Samui is on the ring road behind Chaweng Beach and you will need to get a cab to get to the centre opf Chaweng (around The Islander Restaurant and upo to Tropical Murphy's)

Have a look at the Central Samui Hotel or The Amari on Chaweng beach road.

Been to thailand many times but not Koh Samui and never had any problems,buffet breakfast in 4 star hotel about 2 euro, dinner in good restaurant 3 courses about 15 euro for two including drinks, wine is not big in thailand, beer about 2 euro per pint bottle, get two glasses.

Eat from a barrow on the street if there is a queue, main course ie. pad thai noodles, sweet and sour Moo(pork) gai(chicken) about 60 cents,

Shopping depends, but generally quarter the Irish price .You will be accosted by Indian men to enter their shop and have clothes made to measure, if you get a good one the value is terrific, be careful who you ask for recomendation as everyone is on commission. last month I had 2 shirts and one pants made, I picked the materials paid deposit and came back the day after, all was good, total cost after much bargaining beforehand 38 euro.

check out [broken link removed] [broken link removed] general info.
[broken link removed].com for hotels
enjoy,

Last edited:
Thailand is the best place in the world, beautiful scenery, beautiful people and so cheap. Don'y buy crap you don't really need and you will have plenty is 1000 each. You'll probably find it hard to spend that.

I was in Thailand for a month in summer of 05 and loved it. We spent one week in Koh Samui. I would recommend a day trip to Koh Tao - an island nearby that has amazing snorkelling; it was the highlight of the trip for me. I can't remember how much it was but was cheap by our standards. Don't bother with the elephant rides - short and the elephants don't seem to be treated very well. We ate regularly from the street stalls and never had a bad experience. Taxi drivers honk their horns to show that they are free and are looking for business - this drove me crazy until I realised what they were doing. Money wise I think that €1000 each should be plenty - the best things to do there (swimming, lying on beaches) are free! Also there are a number of places in the main town where you can exchange two books for one - saves carrying home books already read.

Back