Spelling of my name

S

Serenity1

Hi - not sure if this is the correct place but...

The week i was born my mother heard a name being called out and liked it - so she choose that name for me. However i do not believe she spelled it correctly.

As a child i was always having to correct people on the pronunciation of my name - I also had two primary school teachers who refused to call me by my proper name. I hated it as a child.

At 12 - going into secondary school i myself changed the spelling of my name by 1 letter making it easier to pronounce. I have stuck with this spelling to date. Both my parents recognise it and spell it that way now also.

So basically no one in my life at the moment spells it the way it is on my birth cert. All my bank accounts, drivers licence everything has this new spelling. I have always booked flights, you name it in my new spelling and have never had any problem.

However, I am in the process of building a house. Our solicitor is currently doing the land registry etc. My partner and I have to open a joint account for the mortgage and i will be signing for everything - I am also getting married soon. Are there any legal implications for mis spelling my name on contracts etc? I know it sounds ridicilous but i really hated it as a child.

I know this doesn't answer your actual question but for the sake of clarity and less hassles going forward you could change your name by Deed Poll to the new spelling if you wanted - that should prevent any further problems.

Take a look at [broken link removed]

I'd say yer fine - my birth cert has my name in the English spelling but I use my Irish spelling everywhere else (passport, drivers license, all legal docs) - can't say legally where I stand but it hasn't caused any problems thus far!!

It doesn't matter at all. Just stick with the new spelling. If anything arises your solicitor can register you as for eg 'Eileen otherwise Ealeen'.

It would be more likely for something to crop up in relation to the marriage cert than the land reg. Even if your marriage cert is the old spelling the solicitor can cover it as above.

Thats interesting efm as i though i had to have a solicitor change it. I lookied into it years ago and was told it would cost about 2,500 pounds.

I figured i would be fine but you know when it comes to life assurance etc. contracts are based on what you tell them so I would hate this to come back to bite me.

Thanks for all your help.

Thats interesting efm as i though i had to have a solicitor change it. I lookied into it years ago and was told it would cost about 2,500 pounds.

I don't know where you got a quote of a fee like that but to change your name by deed poll is a fairly simply and cheap procedure which you can do yourself if needs be.

i have also changed my name spelling as a child.. had no problems with the marriage part but with the house part i had a little prob with the bank, but they eventually just accepted the way i spelt it with no legalities..