Speeding

sarahfleming

If you are caught doing 55 in a 50 zone are you liable to receive penalty points and if so how soon will you receive notification if caught on garda camera and question 3 what is the fine?

See :

If you are caught doing 55 in a 50 zone are you liable to receive penalty points

Yes.
Technically you are liable if you are caught doing 51km/h in a 50km/h zone. Any speeding offence is treated as above. It can be taken further to careless/dangerous driving etc. in some circumstances.
The Gardai do usually provide for a small amount of error in most cases (~5 to 10%), but this is not a requirement [saves people claiming errors with Gardai equipment, speedo on the car etc etc] and I would assume 5km/h in a 50km/h zone would be at/above the max allowance made. Not sure how sensitive they have the cameras set, but would assume in/around 55km/h would trigger it.

Thanks highflier

One thing, if you were relying on your own speedo you may not have been doing over 50 ( I'm not sure were you actually stopped or just saw the camera.)

Speedos can legally overstate by up to about 15% but cannot understate..
jd

Note, not all cameras have film in them, regular stories in newspapers state at times that only as many 3 of 60 cameras countrywide have film. With those kind of figures theres a good chance that you havent been caught, Ive been snapped twice by over the years and havent had letters. From reports from friends, I know the one opposite the spa hotel in lucan always seems to have film. The cameras will flash whether they have film or not.

I was caught doing 55 in a 50 zone. Received a fine 3 weeks later. Charged 80euro and 2 points.

On a point of information........did I read somewhere that there are car number-plates that cannot be photographed? I presume that these are illegal and you will be (treated like) a criminal if you have them.

There are a variety of sprays/semi-transparant covers/solutions to put on your number plate which will 'render it invisible to cameras'.

None of them work, but it doesn't stop plenty of people buying them.