Speeding up Laptop

dodo

In msconfig, in start up the are 3 items from intel that are enabled, I disabled the like of skype,messenager, i take it that the intel items need to be enabled,

also in msconfig there are many things running, is the a way to knowwhat should be running and what should not be running, I have done a clean up, defrag and few other things to help speed up lapton, win 7 on laptop

You could do worse than try running something like Glary Utilities on it (when installing it, untick the boxes so you don't also install their toolbar/search engine). Its one-click maintenance option automates a lot of regular clean-up functions, and it has a module specifically for checking what's running on startup and disabling the items you don't need. You can also batch uninstall programs you no longer want/need, more effectively than with Windows' own uninstall feature.

Proceed with caution; depending on your laptop and OS, there are various system processes that should be left alone as they need to run in the background in order for other programs to operate properly. Before you do anything, you should set a restore point so you can roll back any changes if need be. Using a program like GU is probably safer than going through msconfig, though.

As you probably know, amending msconfig will only speed up the bootup sequence of your computer. From Windows 7 onwards, this is only a marginal, albeit useful, tweak to imporve performance as Windows 7 staggers the boot sequence to get people up and running and starting other processes later.

Further to Dr.M's advice, have a look at ccleaner which is another powerful tool to clean up your PC. Ultimately I am a fan of the periodic intallation of the OS from scratch (obviously after backing up everything). Gives you that 'new car smell' for computers every time!!

Will the free software Ccleaner be enough to do a good job?also which one of the 3 do I choose to download, cheers
FileHippo.com
Download.com
Piriform.com

As you probably know, amending msconfig will only speed up the bootup sequence of your computer. From Windows 7 onwards, this is only a marginal, albeit useful, tweak to imporve performance as Windows 7 staggers the boot sequence to get people up and running and starting other processes later.

Further to Dr.M's advice, have a look at ccleaner which is another powerful tool to clean up your PC. Ultimately I am a fan of the periodic intallation of the OS from scratch (obviously after backing up everything). Gives you that 'new car smell' for computers every time!!

CCleaner the free version, is excellent, using it for years with out any problem. I usually d/l form Piriform

Back