speeding summons in U.K

mprsv1000

Got a summons for speeding in the U.K must have been when I was was on my way to the ferry. 59 in a 40. what to do?
was thinking of just ignoring it. can they pass the matter on to the Garda here?

Do you mean you got a summons or a fine on the spot? If its the latter you could probably get away with not paying it. UK police do not pass these matters on to Gardai here (yet)

Is this a speeding ticket or a summons for a court appearance? Do you ever travel in Northern Ireland? It could affect you there.

Am wondering how they got your home address from your (Irish?) reg plate. Is there a data sharing agreement and on what basis, if the offence isn't prosecutable here. If there isn't an agreement, is there a data protection issue?

Next time you enter their jurisdiction you could get stopped. if its a summons for a court appearance they can find you guilty in your absence . You need to consider what might happen if you return. I dont think they can do anything to you here. I wonder how they got your Irish address. Theyd hardly extradite you for a speeding ticket unless you'd run over someone ...

Given that UK Authorities cannot (yet) endorse or put penalty points on your licence, it might be prudent to hedge your bets and pay the fine. I would assume that a UK resident will be fined and penalty pointed (is there such a verb?? ) but Irish driving licence holders will just be fined. You then have done your duty and remove any anxiousness the next time you are in the UK...

A good test I use is, which course of action will have you sleeping the easiest in 1 months time. A speeding offence is not a big deal in the greater scheme of things, but ignoring a summons can have consequences. The UK is our biggest neighbour, and you never know where work or holidays will take you in the future.

I am intrigued as to how the UK authorities got your Irish contact details. My wife is English and we go over with the car and kids quite a lot. I have always ignored the speed camera's on the assumption that they will see an Irish reg on the picture and ignore it. I've flashed many a camera and never had a communication from HM's representatives. Maybe I need to clean up my driving !

A friend of mine who lives in London had a Irish reg car for a while and never paid the congestion charge. The cameras takes a picture of your registration plate and if you haven't paid, they send you a bill in the post.

They sent her several bills to her Irish address which she didn't pay so they sold the debt to an Irish debt collector, needless to say after that, it got paid!

It's possible that they do the same with speed cameras.

Hmmm there's definetely a question to be answered about how the Uk authorities are obtaining Irish address details from number plates.

Hmmm there's definetely a question to be answered about how the Uk authorities are obtaining Irish address details from number plates.

MI6 ?

They sent her several bills to her Irish address which she didn't pay so they sold the debt to an Irish debt collector, needless to say after that, it got paid!

Under Irish law I can speed all I want in the Uk or in fact anywhere outside the Republic, right?
Is there not a difference between a fine and a debt ? Would you not have to be found guilty of speeding in an irish court ?