Speeding Fine during Covid Lockdown

Lucky27

Hi, My son was caught speeding in early March just before the covid lockdown. He does not live with us and lives 50 miles away. The fine was posted to my address as that is the address the car is registered at. When the fine came it was addressed to my son in an ordinary envelope that we thought was just an ordinary letter of no consequence. He didn't get the letter till after the lockdown as he was cocooning. He is now over the 56 day payment date and is told he will now get a summons and pay a fine of €180, Surely this isn't fair as he was cocooning and we didn't realise the importance of the letter as it had no obvious signs of importance. Can someone give me some advice on what to do as he is very upset.
Thanks Lucky27

Forwarding his post to him must seem like a very good idea in retrospect.

I believe all he can do is appear in response to the summons and either plead his case or have a solicitor appear to plead on his behalf, which is what I'd strongly suggest. After that it's up to the judge.

Is his motor insurance also registered to the wrong address, i.e. the one where he doesn't live? Is he insured in his own name as the main driver or on someone else's insurance as a named driver? If either is the case he needs to look at regularising the situation. I'm not criticising, just expressing an opinion.

Last edited:
the letter as it had no obvious signs of importance

Of course, but if the letters had "SPEEDING FINE" stamped on them you would be alerting postal staff, housemates, family members to the contents. Most people want to keep these things private.

I have some post still delivered to my dad's house. He sends me a picture of the letter, and either opens or forwards to me depending on what I reckon the contents are.

How long ago did you son move out? When renewing tax, you are supposed to complete form RF111A if there are changes in details such as the owners address. If your son failed to update the address while renewing the tax then he's unlikely to get much sympathy.

I’d say the court will be sympathetic. Just explain what happened clearly, and the reasons for the delay.

Back