speed ramp caused turbo problem

dmac

Hi all,

I was driving in Dublin yesterday morning when i didn't see a speed bump, so i hit it quite hard, i'm sure i damaged the turbo on my car, after going across the speed ramp i cursed myself for not seeing it but didn't think any more until i went to take of again but there was a whizzing noise coming from under the bonnet and it kicked in when the rev went up. I was on the way to the airport so after having a quick look under the bonnet i had to keep going. The noise was kicking in every time the revs went up so i tried to keep them low. Also there was the obvious lack of power.
I'm wondering could it be something simple with the turbo and if it isn't how much does it cost to fix one. I drive a passat and i know a good garage who doesn't rip anyone off.
It got to the airport and will be sitting there for the next two weeks.

Any comments are greatly appreciated

you havent damaged the turbo you have probalbly burst an intercooler hose or the intercooler on the passenger side of the car ,the turbo is up too high.the whizzing noise you are hearing is an air leak from the intercooler system.remove the lower engine cover and you will see the intercooler in behind the fog light area on the passenger side make sure the lower hose hasnt come off.

Thanks Ford Jedi,

The whizzing noise was definetly coming from the passenger side of the engine, i'll have a look underneath and see if i can spot where its damaged. If its a burst pipe would sealing it with some insulating tape get me home to Cavan or like you said if its the intercooler itself would i do more harm by trying to get it home first before being fixed.
One more thing and excuse my lack of car know how, is it air that runs through this intercooler or a cooling agent which if the pipe is burst or has come off then all the liquid will have leaked out.

its only air that runs through it but you may see small amounts of oil leaking out of it but that isnt a problem they all do that anyway.it will be ok to drive on it but eventually the the engine management light will come one due to overboost

Thats great i'll book it in with my local garage and bring it straight there.