Spaying Pup

sulo

Looking for advice - I have checked out all the animal welfare websites on spaying, and overall it seems to positively push that its done.

Have any members any experience with this process for their dog?
Q. Cost

Q. Operation - how Long?

Q. Recovery - How long?

Q - How was your dog/pup afterwards?

Last edited:
They should definitely be done. it stops unwanted pups,
reduces agression in males and increases females lifespan.

Male or female ?

We had our male pups done and it cost €75 each.

Operation only takes a short length and they can be brought home either the same day or the following day. Stitches stay in a week (don't let them outside to run around in the meantime, keep on a lead). Ensure they don't pick at the stitches.

They might be a bit subdued for a few weeks (as you would be!!!) but they'll be a lot better for it in the long run.

Females are subject to a bigger op so I can't comment....above refers to males only.

My dog is a female and was spayed 7 years ago. Even then it cost 90 punts. Other than that the experience was the same as above.

we got our female pup done, it was something like €40 with all the jigs and reels

ten days later had stitchies out and she began to look me in the eye again after about 3 months!

she is quieter now

Hi Sulo, we have 2 dogs and we got them neutered last May - spaying is more expensive than neutering.

What the vets don't tell you is, that this is a big operation - the equivelent to a hysterectomy in a woman.

I would recommend you do it, but as the vet as many questions as you can, I would also advise to use a reputable practice....

we were very happy with the service we received and are in dublin 15 feel free to pm me any more questions

Totally agree with PinkyBear's comments - spaying is a big operation especially for a large dog but when young and healthy she will recover quickly. It could take up to a full day from delivery to collection. The dog I had spayed a while ago was quite sick from the anaeshetic but that didn't last long. Don't know if it still applies but I was advised to defer spaying until after the first heat and before first birthday.

If it's any consolation, having to leave her in a kennel while on holiday was far more (psychologically) traumatic - for the dog! What's more, she remained just as interested in other dogs, of either sex, but I don't think she knew which sex she was. Spaying also means they can't get uterine cancer. I'd be very selective about the veterinary practice.

And plenty of walkies as they can balloon afterwards until their back resembles the runway on an aircraft carrier! ( experience of a friends female labrador)

Our female dog was sick for about 3 days after the anaesthetic - a lot of shivering and vomiting. We went back to the vet twice with her after the operation. We had to get her neutered as she had gotten two false pregnancies and getting her neutered stopped this.

Don't know if it still applies but I was advised to defer spaying until after the first heat and before first birthday.

From speaking to vets and animal charities they are trying hard to change this erroneous perception.

There is no point/benefit in waiting until your bitch has had one heat before spaying - you are only increasing the risk that she will produce an unwanted litter. Spaying before the first heat has serious health benefits - e.g. it significantly lessens the risk of mammarian cancer compared with waiting till after the first heat, or indeed not spaying at all.

However just as major surgery for an infant or small child carries specific increased risks so does excising the reproductive organs of a puppy. 'Cheapest' is not - in these circumstances - necessarily 'best'.......for the animal.

'Cheapest' is not - in these circumstances - necessarily 'best'.
Would completely agree Marie -
There is no point/benefit in waiting until your bitch has had one heat before spaying
And Sherman is also correct.
I would be very careful with the practice that you decide to use - I have friends who are vets and we get great service from our own in Dublin 9, but for a bitch this is a big operation and you have to get a reputable practice to perform the surgery.
If you are based in Dublin I can recomend the anicare group, D .15, 9 and 3.
I have absolutly no connection other than being very happy customers - who had to bring a dog there Sunday pm after being mauled by a pit bull in a local park.

You need to wait until your bitch has reached full size before spaying. If you spay before this, she will not achieve full size.

My mum had her little dog operated on last year. Have to say she had no ill effects, apart from being a little bit dizzy on the way home.

Since then however, despite being a small dog, she now resembles a little barrell rolling down the road. I try to bring her out each evening to reduce the barrell effect.

It cost €120 and our Vet is based in Clondalkin.

You need to wait until your bitch has reached full size before spaying. If you spay before this, she will not achieve full size.

Is there veterinary concensus on this?

I know with cats the recommendation now is to spay and neuter as early as possible, even as young as 7 weeks - the earlier it's done, the less traumatic and the quicker the animal heals. Also, not sure about dogs, but cats can become sexually mature much earlier than was once thought, as early as 3/4 months old.

Originally Posted by Sherman
Also, not sure about dogs, but cats can become sexually mature much earlier than was once thought, as early as 3/4 months old
Yes, that is true about cats; I was told they can produce three (and maybe four) litters in a year starting as young as four months. I learned that when I (perhaps) foolishly fed a feral mother cat and her kittens. By the time the remaining kitten was caught by Cat Protection and brought to the Vet she was already pregnant at four months of age. He still spayed her and I've been feeding her ever since. A more gentle "wild" cat you couldn't imagine though even after ten years she still keeps her distance, goes about her business outside, and I have no worries about rats or mice.

I'd still agree with the comments about deferring the spaying of a dog until she's fully grown. It wouldn't be that difficult to contain the animal during the first heat. That's usually around six months I believe. It's a different story with cats. There's something like a million feral cats in Dublin because of irresponsible owners not getting them neutered and spayed and due to their fecundity - I think that's the right word! When I tried to Google cats and fertility all that came up was cats with infertility problems! - and, out of the blue,this:
The phrase tomcat has been given new meaning after researchers claimed the sex chromosomes of humans and cats strongly resemble each other.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/581254.stm

Back