Spammer tactics

dam099

In the last few days when I go to empty my junk email folder I have started to get a few junk emails that say the sender has asked for a receipt when the message is deleted (using Outlook 2003 under Windows XP).

Firstly I am familiar with read and delivery receipts but was unaware of receipts for deletion (or is this what happens read receipts when you delete without reading?)

Secondly is this a recent development by the spammers, it has only started to happen in the last few days.

I assume their intent is probably to confirm my email address is live so they can send me more crap?

I have modified my receipts handling to never send a response (from ask me) so it should no longer annoy me but I am curious about it.

dam099 said:
Secondly is this a recent development by the spammers, it has only started to happen in the last few days.

I assume their intent is probably to confirm my email address is live so they can send me more crap?

Not a recent development but simply one of many for spammers to, as you rightly point out, confirm live email addresses.

C

Back