Spam, spam, spam

Markjbloggs

Old story, e-mail cluttered with spam. I made the mistake of using it in the Contacts section of a website, and I assume it was harvested (is that the right term?). Anyway, it was removed from the website recently but there has been no reduction in spam.

Any steps I can take other than getting a new address?

tia,

M

Mark

If Eircom are your ISP then they have a SPAM filter called Email Protector [broken link removed]. This stops SPAM before it reaches your PC. If you are using other ISPs then they may provide a similar service.

If you are using a company network and PC you can use Eircom to protect all company email addresses or other providers in Ireland include www.eurokom.ie, www.spamfilter.ie and www.topsectechnology.com.

The advantage the above services offer is they stop the SPAM before it reaches your network and they look after managing and upgrading/updating the systems. Otherwise there are numerous packages out there available to install on you rserver/PC/network.

C

Mark,

My gmail account hasn't received a single spam message since I opened it a few months ago. I don't know how they're doing it, but it's great. They also give 2,400MB of space for FREE!!! If you'd like to give me your current email address (no harm if it's covered with spam already), I'll send you an invitation to join gmail. I think the only way you can get it is by being invited by current users. It's operated by google.

Cathybun

cathybun said:
Mark,

My gmail account hasn't received a single spam message since I opened it a few months ago. I don't know how they're doing it, but it's great. They also give 2,400MB of space for FREE!!! If you'd like to give me your current email address (no harm if it's covered with spam already), I'll send you an invitation to join gmail. I think the only way you can get it is by being invited by current users. It's operated by google.

Cathybun

I use GMail and also Yahoo! Mail - both have free anti-spam features.

Yahoo Mail has 1GB of storage (compared to GMail's c. 2GB) which is not bad.

I find it incredible that eircom.net charges for this service. I also find it incredible that eircom.net have done NOTHING to the service for the past few years - the UI is the same since they launched it!! - and yet they still have thousands of users. In my experience, eircom.net is the worst of the SPs when it comes to SPAM. Asking people to pay for something that other provides provide for free is no subsititute. I also suspect they will go the same route as other eircom products i.e. increase the price over time. (I don't think eircom.net is owned by eircom anymore - although I am sure someone will correct me on AAM if I am wrong - but it smacks of the same Do Little and Charge a Lot business model.)

MonsieurBond said:
. I also find it incredible that eircom.net have done NOTHING to the service for the past few years - the UI is the same since they launched it!! - and yet they still have thousands of users.

By the UI I take it you mean the Webmail UI? Many Eircom users may be using POP3 with Outlook (or other mail clients) so the Webmail UI is probably of little importance to them except maybe when they need to access it other than from their home PC.

Back