Spam - references to "Cody" and/or "Thakker" in subject?

ClubMan

Most of the spam that I get to my Hotmail address these days contains references to "Cody" and/or "Thakker" in the subject line (obviously I don't open spam!). I presume it's some sort of attempt at beating spam filters but I was wondering if the names meant or referred to anything? I've Googled with no success.

I am getting e-mails to my Vodafone Mail account that aren't even addressed to me, e.g. ciarabailey and ciarandwyer (my first name is Ciarán).

I try to report this as spam to Vodafone but it never works. I guess I should just call them, but it's not that much of a problem for me. I am intrigued how spam addressed to other people reaches my inbox, I am sure one of the IT heads can explain?

Are you sure that it's actually addressed to you and you are not just looking at the recipient display name which can be anything and has nothing to do with routing of the email? If you can access the raw headers then post them here for comment.

There are a number of supporting headers used in SMTP delivery which can be used to set the recipient details and these can all be forged/spoofed/modified at will.

Typically this type of delivery involves you being BCC'd on a mail to someone else - when you get it you don't necessarily see any reference to you, and you do see plenty of references to other people, but by definition your ISPs mailer had to have been told specifically that this mail was for you or else it wouldn't have got as far as your inbox.

z

Back