Spam / Bluefrog

Markjbloggs

I saw an ad for this product which claims it reduces spam to your e-mail. Sounds great, but before I give it a try, I thought I'd ask to good people on here for thier opinions -

[broken link removed]

Has anyone used it?

M

Trouble with all spam filtering is false positives, where legitimate mail gets trashed. Unfortunately, there is no way of stopping this at present, rendering all spam software largely useless.

Until SMTP is replaced, looks like we'll have to put up with spam.

umop3p!sdn said:
rendering all spam software largely useless.

This is rubbish. THere are many effective spam filtering tools out there. None of them are perfect, but they are not 'largely useless'.

Especially if (as most of them do) they quarantine suspected spam for review for false positives and also learns from user interaction identifying same.

Clubman, i was meaning to thank you befour as i was haveing trouble with viruses and spyware.After seen that link,i signed up for webroot spy sweeeper (€39.99 for 2 years)machine is running like a dream.Thanks alot.

Glad to hear that it helped. But bear in mind that even if I posted the link lots of others were jointly responsible for collating the list of resources in that thread. Also - did you really need to pay for this? There are lots of free anti-malware (of all sorts - viruses, adware, spyware, rootkits etc.) tools available for free. Could you not find a free one that did the job just as well?

I downloaded a couple of them as free trial and they would all run free scan, but to remove the spyware you had to sign up. Well €20 a year for bug free computer i can live with. Thanks to you all again.

To deal with malware in general I run:
  • ZoneAlarm Free Edition
  • AVG AntiVirus Free Edition
  • Microsoft AntiSpyware
  • Spyware Search & Destroy
  • Ad-Aware SE Personal Edition
  • ewido security suite
  • SpywareBlaster
all of which are free. See [broken link removed] for these and other free utility recommendations.

Markjbloggs said:
I saw an ad for this product which claims it reduces spam to your e-mail. Sounds great, but before I give it a try, I thought I'd ask to good people on here for thier opinions -

[broken link removed]

Has anyone used it?

M

I haven't laughed so much in ages. Talk about naive!
While their hearts maybe in the right place their methods are extremely flawed

From watching the Flash demo on their site it sounds like they are trying to stop spammers by informing them that they are not very nice people. At least that's what I understood it to mean. They are also using a kind of collaborative reporting system.
The idea of sharing reports isn't new and is very effective IF you have enough users in the system, while the idea of having any effect on spammers by telling them that what they are doing is wrong is laughable - it's not going to change anything

I did not look at the site in any detail, but I thought it might have been a way for spammers to harvest e-mail addresses from the very people they were luring!!!

thanks

M